We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report part 1

West Simsbury...
Level Contributor
122 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report part 1

First I would like to thank all of you who helped plan our Nova Scotia trip!! It helped so much!!

Second, Thank you everyone in Canada for such a warm welcome & for being soooo nice!! EVERYWHERE we went it was such a pleasure!! So friendly & always eager to help with any questions, or just to ask how our trip is going!! I miss it already & we just got home...

I am adding some helpful hints @ the beginning of this to hopefully help someone else...Plus our trip report is based on a camping perspective...no hotel for us...

1. We found plenty of ATM's to get Canadian cash...even in some little towns we didnt expect!! Other than that we used our charge cards with no problems...just make sure to alert c/card company you will be travelling out of the country...

2. We found plenty of WIFI access @ most restaurants, but before we left, we decided to up our Verizon plan for one month for 50.00 cost...it gave us TONS of data, plus unlimited talk & text all thru Canada...it really was so helpful to have that option to call anywhere we needed for restaurants, excursions, etc....for the price it was so worth it NOT to have to worry about finding WIFI, & bothering everyone for phone usage or their wifi...bear in mind we camped, so maybe not as much of an issue for hotels stays...

3. Make sure you have the 30 amp male to 15 amp female round adapter for the electric @ the campgrounds, we never have had to use one here in the states where we camp, but it was needed in Canada!! Also, we got rescued with this problem @ a store called Canadian Tire...lots of useful items if you forgot anything...

4. Be aware, travel times on Google Maps, etc...WILL take you longer than they say...it doesnt acct for slowing down to stop or gaze @ the beautiful scenery, & towing the camper takes extra time, especially on the curvy, hilly roads!! We ended up adjusting our itinerary for the last part of the trip because of that reason, even though I thought I had planned in advance & asked about if itinerary was do-able...Plus when we got up into Cape Breton National Park we just couldnt bear to rush through it!! Luckily it was off season, & we were able to adjust campsites without advance reservations...Busy season that would not have been possible...

We started our trip coming up through Maine into Bangor & then out Rt 9 towards New Brunswick...its a great road even towing a camper! There really isnt much on that road past Bangor, so plan accordingly...although its only 2 hrs to Calais ME & the Canada border. We stopped for the night to camp near St Andrew in New Brunswick

Next day headed to Spencers Island Nova Scotia which is very near Advocate Harbour. We had reservations @ Old Shipyard Campground. Its right on the water, & run by super nice people. My only "negative" thought on the campground is that is it truly side by side camping with no privacy at all, but we knew that beforehand. We usually opt for state parks etc...for camping, but if you want to see Advocate Harbour, that is not an option...the road from Parrsboro is very hilly & curvy...you dont want to travel it back & forth!! Hint: ask for site 23 @ Old Shipyard Campground...its right on the end, so you have a great spot. Luckily we were able to switch to that site for 2 nites....

Activities: I did the ocean kayak trip with Nova Adventures...HIGHLY recommend..I absolutely loved it!! Hubby went to Joggins as he doesnt kayak...on our way out of the launch site after the trip we saw the cutest bear walk across the road...The next day we went to Cape d'Or lighthouse & Driftwood beach...very pretty...Advocate Harbour is a great spot to see the tide change...the harbour completely empties out @ low tide, the boats are grounded..high tide the whole thing fills in!! Great before & after pics!!

Eating: It was slow season, so limited options... WILD CARAWAY...delicious!! We ate there 2 of the 3 nights, the other nite we ate @ the Hook & Anchor. It was really good as well, we actually had some fried clams there that were "native" 5 Island clams that were the best clams of the trip!!

There is one small combo gas/liquor/grocery (with some prepared foods as well) store in town...we only stopped in once so not sure how much selection of everything they carry....

next stop...Cape Breton...more to come...

4 replies to this topic
Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
14,129 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report part 1

That is wonderful that you had such a good time in Advocate Harbour and area. And thank you so much for this trip report. We look forward to hearing about the rest of your trip.

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
1,186 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report part 1

Enjoying the report. Post away!

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
14,129 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report part 1

There is a campground right in Advocate Harbour. It is not on the water but overlooks it and it seems to have lots of space. novascotia.com/places-to-stay/…1061

West Simsbury...
Level Contributor
122 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report part 1

The restaurant we talked about in our trip report called the Hook & Anchor was actually at ADDA Fundy Tides campground...Unfortunately we didnt really check out the campground layouts when we were there...maybe we should have!! Probably would have helped a few people with that info...when I was researching where to stay in Advocate Harbour there wasnt much info/reviews about the campground... The fried clams were super yummy tho!!

Reply to: Trip report part 1
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted