We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Nova Scotia- we are coming back

Sudbury...
Level Contributor
8,178 posts
1,005 reviews
Save Topic
Trip to Nova Scotia- we are coming back

Hi MaryAnn and other Nova Scotia experts,

After our fabulous trip to Nova Scotia last year in September, we have decided to come back and explore what we had missed last time. In brief, we explored New Brunswick (St.Andrews-by-the-sea, St Martins, Sussex and magnificent Hopewell Rocks as well as Fundy Bay Trail Parkway) and Nova Scotia (Cabot Trail, Mabou, Baddeck, Inverness, Ingonish).

Now we are planning to do the following trip and are looking for your suggestions. MaryAnn's help was absolutely instrumental last year, so I am hoping to her wise advice.

9/9/2017 - 9/10/17 St. Andrews (Windsor House of St. Andrews B&B - 1 night)

9/9/2017 - 9/11/17 Charlottestown PEI (Delta Marriott - 2 nights)

9/11/2017 - 9/13/17 Halifax (Marriott Harborside 2 nights). Evening in Halifax

9/12/2017 Morning in Halifax, Day trip to Peggy Cove, Evening in Halifax

9/13/17 - 9/15/17 Digby (Digby Pines Golf Resort & Spa - 2 nights). Visiting Lunenburg and Kejimkujik National Park and National Historic Site on the way to Digby

9/14/2017 Day Trip to Annapolis Royal

9/15/17-9/16/17 Moncton (Delta Marriott Beausejour - 1 night). Visiting Wolfville, Grand Pre, Windsor (Rte 14 North)

And then from Moncton to Acadia National Park for our usual two days there (we go there twice a year every year).

What are we missing? How does it sound?

Thank you so much!

Nora

39 replies to this topic
Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
13,897 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Nova Scotia- we are coming back

That's great that you are coming back. fundygirlr is the expert who knows this part of Nova Scotia best so I hope she will respond.

This is a fairly quick trip but it is doable.

I would suggest you consider staying in the Wolfville area with a part day trip to Annapolis Royal rather than staying at Digby Pines. You could benefit from more time in the Wolfville area. It has so many lovely wineries and shops and of course the opportunity to take a couple quick trips to the Bay of Fundy to witness the dramatic difference between low and high tide. There are also several good places to eat, especially le Caveau at Grand Pre winery and Blomidon Inn.

Have a look at this recent Trip Report by a frequent contributor to this forum: https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g154967…

Sudbury...
Level Contributor
8,178 posts
1,005 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Nova Scotia- we are coming back

Thank you so much, Maryann! We are wine drinkers, so visiting wineries is very appealing. If I can only see the ebb and flow of Fundy again, that would be totally awesome! I cannot even tell you how exciting it was to visit Hopewell Rocks and St.Martins Caves last year.

We will carefully read the trip report you suggested and I will come back with our final itinerary.

Thank you again!

Nora

P.S. So glad you enjoyed Sicily!

Sudbury...
Level Contributor
8,178 posts
1,005 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Nova Scotia- we are coming back

Hi Maryann,

I made a mistake: we have only one night in Charlottetown and two nights in Halifax or, alternatively, two nights in Charlottetown and one night in Halifax. What makes more sense? Just having one afternoon and morning in Charlottetown spending one night there or cutting short our stay in Halifax? Maybe to skip PEI altogether? We keep coming back now, so I am not too concerned about seeing everything.

Now I booked one night in Digby and one night in Wolfville to see the vineyards. You gave me such s great advice!

Any thoughts about PEI?

Thank you very much,

Nora

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
13,897 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to Nova Scotia- we are coming back

It should be either Halifax or PEI and of course I will say Halifax. PEI deserves a bit more time - at least a day to drive around the central part and part of a day in Charlottetown.

Sudbury...
Level Contributor
8,178 posts
1,005 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to Nova Scotia- we are coming back

Halifax it is, Maryann... I just looked at PEI online and for us one day, even not a full day, would be enough. I am so happy that we did not rush last year and explored the Cabot Trail and New Brunswick only. The beauty of Nova Scotia and New Brunswick demands a slower pace; otherwise, all the charm will be missed.

Thank you so much!

Nora

P.S. I will be posting my "live" trip report as I had done last year. I reread it yesterday and all my fondest memories came back...

Edited: 9:32 am, August 25, 2017
Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
13,897 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip to Nova Scotia- we are coming back

We look forward to hearing from you as you travel!

Sudbury...
Level Contributor
8,178 posts
1,005 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip to Nova Scotia- we are coming back

Hi Maryann,

We are ready to go now. All hotels are booked and all we need is good weather. A couple of questions, if you do mind...

We are staying at the Delta Marriott in Halifax for two nights. Is it close to the center and to some good restaurants and cafes? What restaurants would you recommend in Halifax not far from our hotel? We are not too picky - just want good seafood and healthy options. We are planning to park the car in the hotel garage and walk to a nearby restaurant for dinner. And have a glass of wine of course.

Also, are there any good artisan shops to buy interesting ceramics or glass home decor items? I am thinking about something special and unique, like a beautiful centerpiece, vase, etc. I always bring something home from all my travels to remind me about the places we had visited.

Thanks a million for you help,

Nora

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
13,897 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip to Nova Scotia- we are coming back

This map shows some but not all the restaurants in the area. https://goo.gl/maps/MjnMkxV6QQ62

I think the Press Gang is the best restaurant close to you. You could also consider Gio's or Chives and there are others a bit further away. https://goo.gl/maps/mUz4k3WwFC52

I have not eaten at Five Fishermen or McKelvie's in many years as we tend to eat our fish at home.

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurants-g1549…

We found the Bicycle Thief too noisy. It seems popular with many people though.

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_Review…

There are likely other artisan shops but Jennifer's on Spring Garden Road only sells things made in Atlantic Canada. http://www.jennifers.ns.ca/

There are some wonderful shops in Mahone Bay and Lunenburg.

Edited: 9:44 am, August 30, 2017
Sudbury...
Level Contributor
8,178 posts
1,005 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip to Nova Scotia- we are coming back

Thank you so much, Maryann! We do not mind a walk to the restaurants - good workout after a nice meal is much needed.

I cannot wait to explore the artisan shops!

You are so great!

Thank you again!

Nora

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip to Nova Scotia- we are coming back

Hello, I highly recommend staying in Wolfsville too. It is a lovely small town, with cool shops and restaurants. many wineries and a new Malt House and Tap Room if you like beer.

https://www.hortonridgemalt.com

Grand Pre is right next door and has gorgeous look out points of the Bay.

Safe Travels.

Reply to: Trip to Nova Scotia- we are coming back
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted