We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cell phone use

NC
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Topic
cell phone use

Does anyone know if US cell phones (tri) Verizon's America's Choice Plan will work in Nova Scotia and PEI? I went to the Canadian Rockies last summer and couldn't find out this information until a B&B owner finally told me that , "Yes", it would work. It worked great for calling for restaurant reservations and finding out travel information. Before I look into Global phones, I need to have this information. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Dancing Goat Cafe & Bakery
$$ - $$$, Cafe, Canadian, Soups
Wild Caraway
$$ - $$$, Seafood, Canadian, Soups
black spoon bistro
$$ - $$$, Seafood, Canadian, Soups
Mid Coast Maine...
Level Contributor
828 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: cell phone use

You won't have any problems getting a room at the time your traveling. In fact, you might even find that some of the B&B haven't even opened for the season. On suggestion is that when you get into a town that has a Visitor Information Centre (follow the brown question mark on signs), go there. Most of them will have books where you can actually flip through and see photos and prices of the B&Bs in town. Then you can go visit a few top choices and make your decision. Beats going door to door.

In the Annapolis Valley I would recommend the Queen Anne or Bread & Roses in Annapolis Royal and the Blomidon Inn or In Wolfville B&B in Wolfville.

Post the question for B&B recommendations in a particular area and you'll be sure to get lots of responses.

Mentioned in this post
Annapolis
Annapolis
Maryland
Queen Anne Inn
Queen Anne Inn
553 Reviews
Annapolis Royal, Canada
Annapolis Royal
Annapolis Royal
Southwest Nova Scotia, Canada
Blomidon Inn
Blomidon Inn
274 Reviews
Wolfville, Canada
Wolfville
Wolfville
Southwest Nova Scotia, Canada
Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: cell phone use

Hi there explorer 12. As for the cell phone coverage. Honestly I wouldn't say yes or no that your phone will work, as I don't know much about the Verizon company. I think Verizon uses CDMA. Here in Nova Scotia, the main carrier, the one you get the best coverage with, is Alliant, and that uses Iden towers, which are the same type of towers that Nextel used, which is American. I got this following info from a forum for you .... "VZW is CDMA so

they of course will not roam on GSM in Canada. VZW will roam on Bell Mobility and Telus Mobility since they are CDMA operators in Canada. GSM in Canada runs at the same frequencies as the US, so a Verizon GSM/CDMA hybrid phone will not work in Canada. The GSM/CDMA handsets run on US CDMA frequencies and European GSM frequencies. It won't work on Canadian GSM networks, is what I meant to say. Of course you can roam on CDMA in Canada." This was all info from forums. So I don't know, but it sounds like you might have trouble, so I would check it out further before you rely on your cell phone working. Some people think just because there is a tower somewhere that any phone will work, but that is not the case. CDMA is different from IDEN for one. Sometimes even if the phone would work for you, the cost would be cheaper for you to use a local phone, and call home and have some accept the charges.

There are places that you can rent cell phones from when travelling internationally. In my opinion though, it would really have to be important to you to be in constant contact with others from home to justify paying the price it is to rent phones. Tellus is a division I believe of Nextel, somewhat similar anyway. So I'm guessing that Tellus must use the iden network as well. There is no shortage of phones in facilities here, so you really won't have trouble keeping in touch with people one way or another. You should check into coverage maps which your phone company should have available. Keep in mind that when talking to someone from the company you deal with, and you are asking questions about international calling, if you feel the person seems to not be informative, remember that its a call center, either call back, or ask to speak with a supervisor. You rely on accurate info and you deserve such. With some companies, you can add international discount features to your plan just for the time that you will be gone, then remove them after you come back. Sometimes they give you a reduced rate. However, going from the US to Canada, usually is pretty reasonable anyway so depending on the savings they are offering, it may or may not be worth your while.

If you are planning on going to PEI, keep in mind that this is basically a tourist province, and things are only opening up during the time that you will be hitting there. They are pretty dormant in the winter, and usually many places only open up the long weekend in May I believe. It's not particularly warm that time of the year in either province, so please bring clothes accordingly. No sense in sugar coating it for you, because if you don't have the clothes to stay warm, you won't enjoy it. It is not summer temperatures during May or even June. You might experience some warm days during the hours of 1 p.m . to maybe 4, but before and after will definately be cooler.

I have found that Cavendish was an area with much to do, but I was there in the summers always.

As for Nova Scotia, Halifax in particular, there is much to do and temperature doesn't matter, cause much of it is inside anyway. As for the Valley, nice place, but lots of driving to get anywhere. Very laid back. It depends on whether you want countryside stuff, or you want night life, etc. If you are a partyier, Halifax is a definate plus. You couldn't visit all of the establishments there, if you stayed for a month.

Being an ocean lover, and lighthouse lover, there is always Peggys Cove. Which is identical to my home area, a fishing village on the same route. At the same time, even if you eat there, the maximum time you would want to spend there is about an hour and a half, or so, and that is with eating. There is only so much there.

In the valley, you have some historical things like St. Annes, etc. but as well, it is more of a sight seeing thing, not a doing thing.

If you do stay in Halifax during a Wednesday or Sunday, there are some Comedy things going on. Gingers on Barrington Street in Halifax, has a comedy night on Sunday night, and you just paying approx. $5 to go to a local charity to take in the show, then there is Yuk Yuks which is new, at the train station, the Westin Hotel, that is more of a night club atmosphere. You can buy tickets just for the act, or to include a meal. This is new so I don't know a lot about the Westin yet, but I heard good stuff.

The dinner theatre, Grafton Street dinner Theatre, and the Heritage one, are both enjoyable. That includes a performance and your meal.

I hope I gave you at least something useful. I hope you enjoy your trip no matter where you venture to go. Just remember one important thing, its better to take time, and relax, enjoy where you are at, than to be on the go, with every moment planned. To be rushed, you don't get the time to take in stuff, if you plan too much, it won't be enjoyable. The key thing to an enjoyable vacation, is to see stuff, be entertained, but most of all, enjoy your time away from your daily routine. No schedules....that's the key. If you do it, great, if you are tired, lay back at the pool at the hotel. Enjoy yourself and rest and be happy. Isn't that what a vacation is all about. Have a good relaxing time. Wish you all the best.

Mentioned in this post
Cavendish
Cavendish
Prince Edward Island, Canada
Halifax
Halifax
Halifax Region, Canada
Peggy's Cove
Peggy's Cove
Halifax Region, Canada
NC
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: cell phone use

Thanks sailorgirl and maritimer for all the information. I think I am going to regret going in May (my husband chose that time), but I didn't find out late September was better until after I had made airline reservations. We're not into beaches and swimming, so maybe we will just enjoy the scenery and hope the weather cooperates. We had a 5 foot snow in late May in NC one year, so I know weather is unpredictable.

The phone thing is confusing. I will check back to see how expensive it was to use my cell phone in the Canadian Rockies last summer. Won't use it much, but with elderly parents, children and my husband's office, we like to be in touch.

I will check out the B&B forum. Again thanks.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: cell phone use

Hi there again explorer12. I hope I didn't confuse you when it comes to the cell phone. I just know a lot about them as I use to work in customer service for a cell phone company. I just know that sometimes people will quickly answer and say yes your phone will work, but when a phone works in a city, state, country, etc., it doesn't mean its going to work everywhere in that place. There are always areas that you will have no coverage no matter what cell phone you use. Usually no matter where you are, there will always be one or two phones that normally work for that area without a problem, and others either have no reception or poor reception, but those same phones may not work if you were to travel a couple of hours away. Like I said, call up your cell phone's customer service, and make sure that you stress its important that you have a correct answer, and don't forget to ask them do they have any suggestions. With some phones you can get an alternate sim card to put in your phone to make it work but usually that only works for certain models.

As for the weather, we are not getting nearly as much snow as we did many years ago. However, it is still cool around that time of the year. It's a good thing swimming isn't what you are interested in, hehehe. As for site-seeing, no matter where you go, I'm sure you will find many sites. I know we enjoy tourists here in Halifax, and love the accents that people have from other parts. I happen to talk to a lot of people from your state, and I just love the accent there. You all sound so sweet, at least the ones I have talked to have. I do hope you enjoy it here. If you enjoy oceanic views, there is lots of that here. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

B.

Mentioned in this post
Halifax
Halifax
Halifax Region, Canada
NC
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: cell phone use

Thanks LadyMaritimer, I certainly understand about the cell phones not working in some areas. Here in the remote mountains of western North Carolina we have that problem a lot. If you love accents, you would love mine. Everyone I meet comments on it...it's a NY to GA to AR to OK to NC one, but I guess mostly that south GA one, where I grew up, stuck. Looking for to the beautiful scenery there.

16. Re: cell phone use

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:27 am, August 25, 2009