We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental stuffs

Which Yellowknife hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
2 posts
Save Topic
Car rental stuffs

Hi every one, my friends and I will come to Yellowknife on March for 4 days, and we decide not to join those aurora tours. We've got some question about car rental stuffs.

1) Do we need a AWD car to drive around place like ice road or Vee lake to watch aurora?

2) If we plan to watch aurora for few hours, do we have to keep idle the car?

3) Is it possible to rent a car with winter tries?

4) Any places suggest for aurora watching?

Thanks!!

Edited: 7:10 am, February 02, 2014
Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Yellowknife
Level Contributor
1,326 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental stuffs

Hello! Welcome to tripadvisor!!

1) Do we need a AWD car to drive around place like ice road or Vee lake to watch aurora?

- AWD is definitely recommended. In fact, in March, it will most likely be your only choice for a car rental.

2) If we plan to watch aurora for few hours, do we have to keep idle the car?

- It depends on the weather at the time. March is considerably warmer, so you could turn off the car for a bit and not worry about it starting back up, and it also depends on how you dress for the weather.

3) Is it possible to rent a car with winter tries?

- This I am not too sure about. Other threads have said no. But perhaps call and check with a few places.

4) Any places suggest for aurora watching?

- Anywhere outside of the city. Jackfish lake, Longlake, Prelude, Ingraham trail, Backbay. etc.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
763 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental stuffs

Winter tires will just cost more as long as their available...

2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental stuffs

Hey thanks for your advice, I better change my reservation for a 4WD.

4. Re: Car rental stuffs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, February 05, 2015