We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Landing in yellowknife

Which Yellowknife hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
72 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Landing in yellowknife

We are arriving in YK next weekend. I have been watching the weather praying for clear skies, of course. I just looked again and the day we land the weather calls for "ice fog." Sounds like a horror movie. We are flying from Atlanta with a layover in edmonton and then into YK. Can a plane land in "ice fog?" (I do realize this is probably ice and some foggy conditions separately ). I would hate to get stuck in edmonton, my trip to YK is too short as it is. Are the flights into yk often delayed or is it standard to fly in such weather ?

Level Contributor
72 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Landing in yellowknife

Just got back. My experience with Canadian North compels me to leave some feedback. I joked earlier comparing their small fleet to that of the ice pilots show. Canadian North was fantastic. In fact, it felt refreshing to get on that flight after the Delta Minneapolis to Edmonton leg, and that was in first class! The plane interior was impeccable, the staff was friendly, and the pilots provided a seemingly flawless flight. My only chagrin was that I had to walk down steps to get off the plane, through the harsh temps outdoors to get to the airport itself. It was painful, but YK is a one story airport so of course I can't hold it against them. Forgive me for doubting you, Canadian North, you guys rock.

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Yellowknife
Level Contributor
1,331 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Landing in yellowknife

LOL, when i fly in the winter, you can tell who the newcomers are, they are the ones who don't put on parkas when the plane lands!

Level Contributor
72 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Landing in yellowknife

There should be a warning sign or announcement or something!

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Yellowknife
Level Contributor
1,331 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Landing in yellowknife

Lol. My dad (who lived up north for 40 years?) flew up there a few days ago from Edmonton and even though it was melting here and mild (jeans and lightweight jacket), he put on his longjohns and heavy parka before he boarded the plane.

Yellowknife, Canada
Level Contributor
98 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Landing in yellowknife

And our northern airlines have better food....

Edited: 2:14 am, March 22, 2013
Level Contributor
72 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Landing in yellowknife

Yes! Absolutely agree! I had a veggie frittata from yellowknife to edmonton. It was delightful.

17. Re: Landing in yellowknife

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, March 24, 2014