We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Northern Lights - September or December ???

Which Yellowknife hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Northern Lights - September or December ???

Hi All,

I'm in a dilema. My partner and I are in the middle of a small argument as to when it is the best time to visit Yellowknife. It's my ultimate dream to see the lights and after reading many forums and seeing pictures i noticed that December (especially during the new moon 13/12/12 etc) is the best time to travel, however i HATE the cold but on this occasion I am willing to brave it. My partner on the other hand is wanting to celebrate his birthday here in Australia being 12/12/12. He is willing to travel anytime before or after this period and he would prefer snow activites.

So my queestion is:

Should i bother freezing my butt off only to get here after or before the new moon period in December. Meaning will we still be able to catch the lights although i'll miss the new moon.

Or should i save myself the hassle of the cold and argument and book for September instead? Will I still catch the light during the new moon in September and would i be able to do any snow activities (Is there any snow in yellownife during this time)?

Sorry for the long Message. Feedback much appreciated. Thank you.

Edited: 7:50 pm, January 10, 2012
Brisbane, Australia
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Northern Lights - September or December ???

Hi All,

After reading these post I have officially made January as my travel month and I will plan at least 1 week in Yellowknife.

Suzanne i'm from Brisbane, Australia. I will most likely fly everywhere to get the best time out of my travel. So yes I will be flying there. I might comeback on here to ask you for some flying tips, airlines routes, etc (if you dont mind).

Suzanne, & Briony, thanks for the links, i shall check them out tonight.

Now i'm getting excited!!! THANKS AGAIN.

Brisbane, Australia
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Northern Lights - September or December ???

Hi All,

After reading these post I have officially made January as my travel month and I will plan at least 1 week in Yellowknife.

Suzanne i'm from Brisbane, Australia. I will most likely fly everywhere to get the best time out of my travel. So yes I will be flying there. I might comeback on here to ask you for some flying tips, airlines routes, etc (if you dont mind).

Suzanne, & Briony, thanks for the links, i shall check them out tonight.

Now i'm getting excited!!! THANKS AGAIN.

Singapore, Singapore
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Northern Lights - September or December ???

Hi Josie,

Are you planning the trip next year Jan?

Brisbane, Australia
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Northern Lights - September or December ???

Hi Samantha, yes I'm planning for next year.

Edited: 12:17 pm, April 06, 2012
Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Yellowknife
Level Contributor
1,337 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Northern Lights - September or December ???

Hi Josie! Feel free to message me anytime, So excited to help you. I love it when people visit the north. How long are you in Canada for, and where else are you planning on visiting?

16. Re: Northern Lights - September or December ???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, April 13, 2013