We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bugs

Toronto
Level Contributor
157 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Bugs

I have a choice of going to Yellowknife in mid July or mid August. Which should I pick to avoid bugs ? Or are the bugs really bad at both those times of the year ?

Yellowknife, Canada
Level Contributor
99 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bugs

In Yellowknife... anytime in the summer... the bugs are practically nonexistent... now outside of Yellowknife.. in the bush... that's a different story...!!!

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,186 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bugs

Yes, but getting back to the OP's question, and assuming they are not going to the North just to see a city ... are bugs on the wane by mid-August?

Nauru, I can't say for sure since I have never been to Yellowknife, but my experience in other parts of the country, especially here in the Rockies where the summer climate is somewhat similar to up north, and from what I hear from friends who live in the Yukon, is that mid-July can be very buggy and they really do start to wane, come the colder nights of mid-August and later.

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Yellowknife
Level Contributor
1,337 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bugs

Hmmm mid July is prime time for mosquitoes. They keep you from sleeping at night, but disappear towards the end of July and early August. But August is prime time for blackfles, smaller, less visible, but they crawl in your ear, your hair etc.

bug repellent works well for both, and bug coils etc are pretty effective. Alot of tourists even use the bug masks in the bush.

Toronto
Level Contributor
157 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bugs

Yes, I should have said that I'll be in the bush around Yellowknife and Ft. Simpson also.

Calgary
Level Contributor
122 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bugs

I drove to Yellowknife mid July last year, and I was very pleasantly surprised at the lack of bugs in town. (The mosquito / fly situation was far worse in Calgary when I left.) Shorts and a tshirt out on the patio until 11:00 ish without any bug spray - no problems at all. It was great. However, if you drive 15 - 20 minutes out of town, the bugs are insane.

I really enjoyed spending lots of time outdoors in Yellowknife when I was there, and I think you will too..

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bugs

I choose to live with mosquitos rather than blackflies. They are the absolute worst and make mosquitos look like puppy dogs. In Ontario mosquitos are fairly non-existent by August but it all really depends on the weather. If it is humid at night the mosqutos will be out all night. But in Yellowknife I don't think there is much humidity so I think you'll be fine.

But if Suzanne says there will be blackflies in August then that's a different story. Mosquitos will stick you with their needle and a blackfly bites and takes out a little chunk of your skin. Not fun. You can always email the tourism board to see if they can help you with an answer.

In the meantime, have a look a this.....Canadiana at it's best!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjLBXb1kgMo

7. Re: Bugs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 07, 2014