We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St.John's Accommodation Review

Which St. John's hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
St.John's Accommodation Review

Has anyone stayed at the Alcove Suites on Gower Street in downtown St. John's? Would appreciate a review. Also the Hillview Terrace Suites out on Wadland?

Thank you very much

Laura

Gros Morne National...
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St.John's Accommodation Review

I don't know about Alcove, but I would choose not to stay Hillview Terrace.

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: St.John's Accommodation Review

okee dok then. Would appreciate knowing if this is because it's close to the airport? Or generally run-down?

I have heard a similar sentiment which is why I am asking.

Thanks

Gros Morne National...
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St.John's Accommodation Review

Previously these apartment blocks had a certain clientele, they were often poorly maintained, in a poor location and always had a "Jesus! What is that smell?" in the hallways.

That being said they have since been bought and sold a number of times. I was in a couple of the short term units last summer and they seemed to have been partially resurfaced, clean, and adequately furnished. It also seems like they have separated the short term rental units from the residential blocks.

I would describe them as "adequate". If you have a rental car they aren't in too terrible a location.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
762 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St.John's Accommodation Review

Does not sound encouraging....

St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
94 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St.John's Accommodation Review

Yeah, just to echo what has been said, Hillview Terrace is a series of apartment buildings, not that great looking inside or out, and not located in a great area (in terms of being close to the downtown core where the local restaurants, cafes, shops, galleries, historic sites, etc. are) I personally think it is way more enjoyable and convenient to stay in a downtown accommodation. There are sooo many great places to stay that give you that feel of being among the culture and sites of St. John's.

I have never been inside Alcove so I can't speak to that, but Gower Street itself is a great location. 5 minutes down the hill and you are back in the middle of things. It's also a beautiful street, lined with traditional colourful row houses. Other similar accommodations in that general area are Gower House, At Wit's Inn, The Roses, Randell Shea Manor, Arcadia House, Chef's Inn, The Narrows, Avalon Guest House, etc. Lots of choice. The Duckworth Hotel on Duckworth Street is also more affordable than a lot of the downtown hotels, but is nice, basic, within walking distance to everything....as is Hometel at the base of Signal Hill Road.

6. Re: St.John's Accommodation Review

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, March 04, 2015