We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. John's vs Saint John

Which St. John's hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal
Level Contributor
829 posts
482 reviews
Save Topic
St. John's vs Saint John

Has anyone else had a 'near miss' when making a booking?

I booked a car rental and clearly said 'St. John's Newfoundland' but they booked it for 'Saint John, New Brunswick'. I called to correct it, they re-sent an email that still retained the old mistake. It got very confusing, but it was fine in the end, I actually profited because they matched the New Brunswick rate, which was cheaper. While checking in for my car, the clerk admitted that the St. John's/Saint John mixup happened more often than they would like to admit - sometimes a customer would show up and there would be nothing they could do if the cars were sold out.

Now, if an agent mixed up my flights and booked me to go to St. John's, Antigua, that I might consider...

St. John's, Canada
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
3,436 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St. John's vs Saint John

I have heard of mistakes where someone wanted to go to Sydney Australia and ended up with a booking to Sydney Nova Scotia!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St. John's vs Saint John

Bizarre! Glad to hear that it worked out for nonetheless...

Canada
Level Contributor
2,606 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St. John's vs Saint John

Anyone know how to make this a sticky in both the New Brunswick and Newfoundland forums? I have posted before in response to tourists who casually call Saint John "St. John" or "St. Johns" that their inattention to the distinction between the two may get them in trouble, and I've been accused of being nasty and unwelcoming.

Gros Morne National...
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St. John's vs Saint John

No, Tripadvisor doesn't use stickies.

I think it is a mistake people will only make once :)

Montreal
Level Contributor
829 posts
482 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St. John's vs Saint John

I once heard that an entire amateur sports team destined for St. John's, NL, were forced to watch what was meant to be their match from a bar in Saint John, NB.

quof, my guess is that anyone who bristles at being 'corrected' for this kind of thing, and then actually does make a bad booking, will become the new person who warns others on the forums!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St. John's vs Saint John

It is quite confusing especially while reading of searching for hotels and flights. They all get mixed up. Wonder why they just name it something else?

Pecatonica, Illinois
Level Contributor
417 posts
357 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St. John's vs Saint John

This happened to us last winter, too. I had called to see if we could extend our rental car by a couple days, and they had us going to Saint John, NS rather than St. John's. No wonder the car rental was so much cheaper the first time!

oakville, ON
Destination Expert
for Oakville
Level Contributor
5,080 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St. John's vs Saint John

Saint John is in New Brunswick, not Nova Scotia. Please don't bristle:)

Fredericton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Fredericton, St. John's
Level Contributor
1,884 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St. John's vs Saint John

A few years back an American booked flight to Sydney....only she was hoping to get to Sydney Australia. Tell me she wasn't loosing her marbles when she landed in Sydney, Cape Breton.

I live in New Brunswick now and am continuously correcting people on St. John's vs. Saint John.

Texas
Level Contributor
88 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: St. John's vs Saint John

I seem to recall it happened when someone called for emergency services and they went to Saint John instead of St. John's. It is very confusing for some people and it makes me wonder why they named two cities (where are now pretty well populated) so similar to one another in nearby Provinces. Guess it's too late to change the names now but yes, confusion occurs because of their similarity. People sometimes write Saint John's or St. John which is confusing. It's either St. John's, Newfoundland or Saint John, New Brunswick.