We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mountain towns, villages.

Which St. John's hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
CHARLOTTE
Level Contributor
820 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
Mountain towns, villages.

We are coming to Newfoundland for the first time in middle to late August. We prefer to stay in small mountain towns, villages if there is such. If we are flying out of Toronto to a city, St. John's or Gander, what location would you recommend for individuals who love to hike? Would love to hear suggestions.

St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mountain towns, villages.

IMO, there are two main areas in NL to hike...Gros Morne/Appalachian Trail area (west coast) and the East Coast Tra il (east coast). Both of these areas have an abundance of small towns and multiple hike locations.

The Gros Morne area is more mountainous (we don't have many mountains in NL). the East Coast Trail system is generally more rugged with ocean coast vistas.

There are also several lovely trails on the Bonavista peninsula...the best being the Skerwink Trail.

Fly into Deer Lake for the west coast, St. John's for the east coast. It is about a 7 hour drive between Deer Lake and St. John's.

Happy Planning!

CHARLOTTE
Level Contributor
820 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mountain towns, villages.

Thanks so much for your information. I have looked at Gros Morne area but surely there must be some small mt. villages in that area, however; I can't seem to find any. Thanks again for your post. I have always loved Canada and think it is a beautiful country.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,632 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mountain towns, villages.

"... there must be some small mt. villages in that area, however; I can't seem to find any..."

===========================

As SteffieNL mentioned, there are no mountains in Newfoundland.

Cheers,

Terry

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,255 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mountain towns, villages.

The two high spots in Newfoundland, which are on the west coast in or near Gros Morne, are 814 (Cabox Mountain) and 806 meters respectively. Everywhere else is no higher than about 500 meters.

What you'll get in Newfoundland is small outport towns. Fishers brought their catch in to shore and processed them right there. It was by boat that people got around for centuries, if they went anywhere, before any roads were built across the island. Almost everyone lives within a stone's throw of a boat.

(Although I'm a Coach K fan, really pleased to see UNC do so well this year.)

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,153 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mountain towns, villages.

Have a look at areas you are interested in with satellite view on google maps - you can see roads, towns and villages, and also toggle back to map view. www.maps.google.com

St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mountain towns, villages.

As noted, NL towns and villages are coastal rather than mountainous. Gros Morne is spectacular. Also take at look at websites on the NL route of the Appalachian Trail, which also runs through Gros Morne.

Placentia, Canada
Level Contributor
736 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mountain towns, villages.

Outports are the true way to discover NL.,great views,great people and great times.If landing in St. Johns rent a car and start driving.Southern Shore,Cape Shore(Cape St.Marys is a must) have awesome scenery and are spotted with small communities....(my home town has only 4,yes,4 people)

Leaving the Avalon peninsula offers you options of Bonavista peninsula,Burin peninsula....all regions are beautiful with loads of history and culture.The views are awesome!

Gros Morne is a must if landing in Gander and well worth the time to explore(no mountain towns though)

CHARLOTTE
Level Contributor
820 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mountain towns, villages.

I sure do appreciate all the posts and information. It is quite evident that all of you are very generous with your comments and hospitality. I was referring to villages I suppose up in the hills rather than on the coast. From what most of you inferred was that the Gros Morne would be best for our visit. Canada is so large and varied that my knowledge of your country is lacking. We prefer to come when most tourists are gone, perhaps in late August. What are your suggestions? We definitely love cooler weather so the first of September is also good. Also, in late August would we be likely to experience black flies or deer flies? We intend to fly into St. John's and rent an auto. The distance to Gros Morne requires a 7 hour or so drive. Where would you suggest we overnight on the way since we don't want to drive 7 hours in one clip? Thanks again.

Edited: 10:29 am, March 26, 2012
CHARLOTTE
Level Contributor
820 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mountain towns, villages.

One last question, (if going to Gros Morne is our destination, is it indeed better to fly into Gander versus St. John's?)

CHARLOTTE
Level Contributor
820 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mountain towns, villages.

MuftiMixandma: You can't go wrong with either university. Duke is a great school with a huge BB tradition. UNC just lost so many players, four in all this year and just last week our point guard, that it (UNC) was completely disrupted.

Edited: 10:38 am, March 26, 2012