We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canadian Customs

Concord, New...
Level Contributor
93 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Canadian Customs

Am flying from Boston to St John's in June, with connection in Halifax. Anyone know if I will go thru Canadian Customs in Halifax, or my destination (YYT). I'll be trying to catch the last shuttle to my hotel at 2330 hrs.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: Canadian Customs

Well, this time I have both bad news and good news.

Bad news: if you're flying home the same way, you'll probably clear US customs before you reach Logan. Most major Canadian airports have US customs & immigration pre-clearance; in Halifax it's available for flights leaving to the US before 5 pm.

Good news: because Halifax has new pre-clearance facilities, you don't have to claim baggage during a Canadian->US connection in YHZ. As long as you're travelling on a single ticket with luggage checked through, your bags will be handled automatically (US Customs officers can recall them from the baggage system if they want to take a look).

Concord, New...
Level Contributor
93 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Canadian Customs

The get-home leg will be the easy one. The going up is the one with tight-ish connection, and a last hotel shuttle to catch (will had taxi-cash just in case).

Clarenville, Canada
Level Contributor
77 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Canadian Customs

I can't comment on Halifax customs, as I don't think I've ever entered the country there, but I would not worry about the shuttle. I don't know what hotel this is--the only one I know of with a shuttle is the Comfort Inn Airport, where the shuttle can be called at any hour--but the airport is only 15 minutes from downtown at that hour, so a taxi won't cost any more than a shuttle would be in, say, Toronto.

Concord, New...
Level Contributor
93 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Canadian Customs

It's the Ramada, and supposidly the last one is at 11:30pm. I'll deal with that closer to my trip. One is supposed to notify them of the need, anyway.

25. Re: Canadian Customs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:25 am, May 08, 2013