We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

newfoundland itinerary

innerkip, on
Level Contributor
234 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
newfoundland itinerary

My daughter and I are flying itno St. John's on Saturday, Sept 4th and fly back out on Sept 10th. I am picking up a rental car and spending 1st ight in conception bay south. We plan to visit Cupids and Arnolds Cove on route to Trinity. Spending 1 night in Trinity and plan on doing Skerwink Trail, Random Passage and visiting lighthouse in Bonavista. Day 3 we'll drive to Placentia for overnight and visit Cataracts Prv Park and Colinet Salmon ladder . Day 4 visit Cape St mary's, cape race and have 2 nights in Witless bay so will be checking out la manche village trail and falls. Last day we are spending downtown St. John's so will do signal hill and cape spear and then wander around downtown area. This is our first trip here so any advice on this itinerary and whether or not there's someplace in these wanderings we should make sure to see? Also, any good local restaurant suggestions along our route would be appreciated.

Nova Scotia Canada
Level Contributor
673 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: newfoundland itinerary

When you travel up the coast to Witless Bay, try to spend some time in the lovely community of Ferryland-it is on your way. Ferryland has a beautiful red lighthouse and there you can buy picnic lunches (closed Monday), visit a large and lovely gift shop and a museum nearer the highway, another small museum in a house on the highway. You will enjoy the scenery. Also, there is an outdoor restoration going on daily ( a settlement from the days of Lord Baltimore)-this is on the way in to the Lighthouse. Sometimes you can just sit on the rocks beyond the lighthouse and watch whales playing down below in the Caribbean blue water.

Enjoy your trip!

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: newfoundland itinerary

I'd just make allowances/contingencies that it looks like the remnants of Hurricanes Earl and Fiona will be blowing through (likely only as tropical storms at most) but there could be rain and wind that might mean you want to keep your plans flexible. As well as the usual weather places you can keep an eye on the projected paths of these storms at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Edited: 9:28 am, September 01, 2010
innerkip, on
Level Contributor
234 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: newfoundland itinerary

Yes it sounds like it might be a wet one but we are coming prepared!

Thanks

eggplantgirl
Level Contributor
56 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: newfoundland itinerary

I second the recommendation for Lighthouse Picnics, especially if you have 2 days in the Witless Bay area. It's about 40 minutes south of Witless Bay, the scenery is lovely and the food is yummy. In Saint John's, we had a great meal at Bacalao. 10 minutes outside of Trinity, in Port Rexton, we had an excellent meal at the restaurant at Fisher's Loft Inn. Both these two meals were splurges but the food and service were exceptional.

5. Re: newfoundland itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, March 01, 2011