We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental With Unlimited Miles?

Which St. John's hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
78 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental With Unlimited Miles?

Anyone know of a rental car company in St. John's that offers unlimited mileage per rental? Most seem to have a preset limit ie 3000 kms.

Thanks!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Car Rental With Unlimited Miles?

I know there's already a warning in this thread about returning a car rental to a location other than where it originated. But does anyone have information about what kind of fee there might be? I'm thinking of flying in to Deer Lake and out of St. John's (or vice versa) and doing a self-drive tour of the sights in between the two locations. Does anyone have experience with any of the car rental agencies in Newfoundland to know if they would allow this or what kind of fee might apply? Many thanks!

gxp
Niagara
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Car Rental With Unlimited Miles?

Most of the major rentals have a web site where you can get a quote. Just show the pickup and dropoff locations the same, and then as you plan, then compare prices.

With majors you don't need to provide credit card number or deposit when reserving.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Car Rental With Unlimited Miles?

TO CHANTL011,

Can't give you exact numbers... as GXP has said you'll need to contact the Rental Companies directly. BUT I can tell you that it is usually very very high... in some instances (although not necessarily here in Newfoundland... I advise all across the CANADA TRAVEL FORUMS) Travellers have come back "stunned" at what the Drop Fees can be... sometimes even more than their basic car rental (example $ 200 Car Rental and a $ 300 Drop Fee). The reason being of course the company has to get the car back to the point of origin even if that means getting the vehicle towed there. Drop Fees are always higher if you leave the car out of the Province, and astronomical if you return it out of the country.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,532 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Car Rental With Unlimited Miles?

I have booked a car in early May for a week with Hertz and as I have learned from renting elsewhere cheaper to pick up in the city ie Marriott in this case than at airport. My CAA discount rate for economy for week is $280 with 700km and .18 per.km extra. Since I am sticking to day trips around Avalon peninsula think I won't go over by too much and if my math is right doubling to 1400 would be an extra $126 which wouldn't be too bad for NL I am told.

I realize I am renting offseason and expect rates go up significantly during peak season. My experience with cheaper looking rates from others such as Budget is that hard to avoid extra charges and some smoke and mirroring that I haven't experienced with Hertz.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Car Rental With Unlimited Miles?

I just wanted to follow up on this because when I originally booked my car rental for my September trip back in April, the company was only offering 1050 free km. However, when I checked in to rental rates again a couple weeks before the trip, unlimited kilometres were now available. Needless to say, I canceled my existing reservation and made a new one - lowering my cost by $120 for the week and increasing to unlimited mileage. A good thing, too, since I ended up putting 1500 km on to the vehicle.

So it's always worthwhile checking again closer to the date of your actual travel!

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,532 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Car Rental With Unlimited Miles?

That is a helpful tip - probably related to supply and demand. My car rental from Marriott in St. John's was OK but don't think many economy models available as ended up with a larger vantype vehicle and altho rate was the same it was a gas guzzler and since many of my trips were into St. John's from Irish Loop and day trips around Avalon peninsula on main roads smaller would have suited me better. It also took me some time to get used to driving something that big on narrower roads as used to smaller model.

17. Re: Car Rental With Unlimited Miles?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:52 am, March 14, 2011