We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale and iceberg watching

Which St. John's hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
63 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Whale and iceberg watching

Hullo. I just booked a last minute trip for 3 days to St. John's, flying in tomorrow till Thurs. I'll be staying at MUN ($33/nt!! Love staying @ universities!)

I want to do at least day trip to go see whales and/or icebergs. Are their single-day tours that run out of St. John's, and do you know roughly what they cost?

Thanks in advance on short notice!

Dayton, Ohio and...
Level Contributor
431 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale and iceberg watching

I took the Gatherall Catermaran Tour from Baybulls. Baybulls is about 30 min. south of St.John's, and there are other tours from the same location. You will see a lot of whales at this time, as we caught the early part of the migration in early july and was told the ocean will be filled with them in 2 weeks.

Gatherall boats are very fast and costs a little less than $50 for 2-21/2 hr. ride. Ice bergs be gone in st.John's by now.

Hope you get this message in time.

Owen Sound, Canada
Level Contributor
628 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale and iceberg watching

Humpbacks have been late getting into Witless Bay this year but there were a few around middle to the end of last week. Plenty down at St. Vincent's last week.

Canada
Level Contributor
485 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whale and iceberg watching

Geographic,

Thanks for the info on Witless Bay. We were thinking of doing a puffin tour in Witless Bay and going whale-watching in Trinity. With this year's whale activity, would that make sense?

4. Re: Whale and iceberg watching

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, September 05, 2009