We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where does cruise ship dock in Corner Brook?

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
144 posts
432 reviews
Save Topic
Where does cruise ship dock in Corner Brook?

Oceania Marina, a 1200 passenger ship will be at this port very early June.

What can I do in town if I do not have a rental car?

The ship charges well over $100 for a 3 hr tour, which I feel is very steep in price.

11 replies to this topic
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,059 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where does cruise ship dock in Corner Brook?

The ship will dock at the port, which I understand to be on RIverside Drive, relatively close to "downtown". Search Corner Brook Port Corporation or 61 Riverside Dr., Corner Brook on Google Maps.

1. You won't likely be renting a car for 3 hours, even if you could book one which is doubtful (rental cars are at a premium in NL). I doubt you'd find a car for 3 hours without paying at least the daily rate ($47 plus fuel is the cheapest I could see, maximum 100 kms)

2. Hire a taxi to show you around but with the price of taxis in Corner Brook it will be $100 for three hours without any trouble.

3. Take the tour offered by the cruise line - this is most likely your BEST choice if you really want to do something, even at the price which does seem fairly high depending upon what is included.

4. Try to figure out a bus schedule and see what you could do but the public transit system is EXTREMELY limited and this is not really a viable option.

4. Just walk, wander around. You really don't have time to go anywhere or do much of anything with 3 hours

5. Stay on the ship and eat

Gros Morne National...
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
1,664 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where does cruise ship dock in Corner Brook?

You will be longer in port than three hours.

I like the ship arranged excursions for Corner Brook. The city itself is pretty dull so the tours will take you out from the city. By using the ships tours you don't have to stress about getting back to the boat in time.

Think, if you do a private tour to the same location you are usually saving $20pp. If you miscalculate in your planning and you miss the ship how much will it cost pp to fly to your next port?

Have you used the TA site cruisecritic.com?

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
144 posts
432 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where does cruise ship dock in Corner Brook?

I feel the ship's shore excursions are well overpriced.... see this description:

This mostly panoramic tour gives you a great overview of Corner Brook. Boarding your bus, you will head out for a scenic drive to Captain Cook's Look-out historic site. From here, you can see out over the beautiful Bay of Islands.

Your tour will also include seeing the dramatic settings of Corner Brook's parks and magnificent vistas, all the while learning interesting facts about this picturesque logging town that is perched at the mouth of one of the world's great salmon rivers. Hear tales of 40-pound salmon, the buried treasure of Shellbird Island and the many wonders of western Newfoundland. Of course you will also get better acquainted with the world-famous Captain Cook and have a look at the forests that lured North America's first European visitors, the Vikings.

After a photo stop at the scenic Old Man in the Mountain viewpoint, you will enjoy a picturesque drive back to the pier.

Please note: This tour includes a small amount of moderate walking. The tour is available to guests who utilize a collapsible wheelchair, can make their own way on and off the bus and are accompanied by a companion to assist them. Warm clothing; comfortable, flat walking shoes and a rain jacket are recommended. Due to the remote location, this tour will operate with school buses.

This is titled:Highlights of Corner Brook, 2 hrs. Price: $125

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,059 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where does cruise ship dock in Corner Brook?

The price does seem steep.

You "MIGHT" be able to get a taxi to do the same sort of thing a bit cheaper but I'd expect at least $100-$125 for a cab and driver for a few hours. A taxi from Deer Lake airport to Corner Brook, about a 50 km drive (<40 minutes) costs about $50 pp in a shared cab. If you can find a cab to take 2, 3, or 4 people for a similar tour for $150 or so you'd be doing quite well.

Prices in NL are a bit steep and any cruise ship tour is ALWAYS steeply priced (at least in my experience with four cruises in the Caribbean and Mediterranean).

Newfoundland, Canada
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Where does cruise ship dock in Corner Brook?

The cruise ships dock very close to downtown. All stores are well within walking distance. I've seen some cruise passengers take taxi's, but they will definitely have their rates increased for that day. Of course if you wanted to share the expense with 2-3 other people it might not be so bad. All taxi drivers around here are very friendly.

If you wanted to take in the sights of our wonderful city I would suggest taking one of the tours.

I was lucky enough to be involved with a Photography tour a couple times last summer. We were all comfortable in an air conditioned bus. The tour lasted a couple of hours and we took in all the local tourist attractions. We have some very scenic areas - excellent location for photography. All of the cruise passengers on our tour seemed to really, really enjoy themselves. Any questions on our city send me a message!

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
144 posts
432 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where does cruise ship dock in Corner Brook?

Thanks for the suggestions.

I can't get over the cruise ship's pricing on shore excursions, see this example:

A wonderful outdoor adventure, this tour features two leisurely walks through the nearby woods where views include a cascading waterfall, meandering stream and open parkland.

Boarding your school bus at the pier, it's a brief drive to the scenic Corner Brook Stream trail system, where you will have the pleasure of hiking its serene paths, parts of which wind through the city. The first trail follows the stream itself, which eventually flows into the bay. Along the way, look for songbirds warbling in the trees, wildflowers blanketing the forest floor, and clusters of ripe berries in the bushes. To enhance the experience and take full advantage of the ever-changing topography, there are pedestrian bridges, staircases and platforms that offer dramatic views of the countryside.

At the end of that trail, you'll next be shuttled to the Glynmill Inn Trail, much of which also runs parallel to Corner Brook Stream and Glynmill Inn Pond. Mill workers originally constructed the pond as a dam to supply power to the city's paper industry. It now serves as one of Corner Brook's most popular recreation areas because of its scenic beauty. Built in 1923, the historic Glynmill Inn overlooks the pond and swans frequently congregate here.

Following your second hike, you'll stop at a local café for a tasty treat made with Newfoundland berries before driving back to the pier where your tour concludes.

Please note: This tour includes approximately 2-hours of moderate to strenuous hiking and includes some uneven and natural surfaces as well as steps and the possibility of staircases. The tour is not available to wheelchair guests or those with mobility concerns. Weather appropriate layered clothing and flat, sturdy hiking shoes are suggested.

This is titled" Corner Brook hiking adventure", 2.5 hrs, $115. I believe I can walk there myself instead of taking their bus, and save $200 per couple, and has $30 allowance to buy the tasty treat!

Lake Forest...
Level Contributor
7 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where does cruise ship dock in Corner Brook?

I, too am looking into private tours for Corner Brook, as Oceania's prices are very high. I have booked several other excursions via Shore Excursions Group and Viator for this cruise. Is anyone familiar with Crystal Water Boat tours in Corner Brook?

Corner Brook, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Where does cruise ship dock in Corner Brook?

I'm not sure if this is in the plans for the 2013 season, but last year the Corner Brook Port Corporation arranged for free shuttle buses for cruise ship passengers throughout Corner Brook. Using the buses, you can get to pretty much all the shopping spots, as well as the Corner Brook Stream Trail.

If you're looking to get out of the city and take some photos, you might consider Mountain Tours & Photography at www.mountaintoursphotography.com. Doug Cook is a Corner Brook native who does an excellent job of his tours. Another option you could try is Explore Newfoundland at www.explorenewfoundland.com, which offers a lot of adventure tours.

Other good activities in the area include Crystal Water Boat Tours, Four Seasons Tours, Humber River Cruise, and Marble Zip Tours. Usually this zip tour guys are at the port waiting for passengers and you can just hop on the shuttle, unless they've been contracted out as a formal shore excursion.

Hope this helps and have fun!

Brittany

Lake Forest...
Level Contributor
7 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where does cruise ship dock in Corner Brook?

Thanks! Very helpful. I am waiting to hear from Crystal boat tours. Looking forward to the stop now.

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
144 posts
432 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where does cruise ship dock in Corner Brook?

Brittany, I will post this suggestion on cruise critic roll call section, where a significant number of our fellow cruisers read. Your comments will benefit many of us.

Thanks.

Reply to: Where does cruise ship dock in Corner Brook?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted