We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Draft Gros Morne itinerary

Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Draft Gros Morne itinerary

Hi,

We are visiting Gros Morne in mid-June. Both in our mid-twenties. Wondering if we could get some advice/thoughts on our draft itinerary.

Thanks for your help!

St. John's (3 nights)

Gros Morne

Day 1 St. John's to Deer Lake - Norris Point (3 nights)

- Rest, explore Rock Harbour and dinner there

Day 2 - Norris Point

- Western Brook Trail (3km one way) and boat tour (11/12:30) - 27km north of Rocky Harbour

- To base of Gros Morne Mountain (8km return) start near Norris Point

- or Coastal - Green Point (6km) near Rocky Harbour

- Anchors Aweigh at night

Day 3 - Norris Point - Woody Point

- Discovery Centre + Lookout Trail (5km)

- Tablelands Trail ** (4km)

- Or Green Gardens Trail (9km return)

Day 4 - Norris Point - Deer Lake- Home

- Burnt Hill Trail or other activities

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Draft Gros Morne itinerary

First off you are very adventourous and are sure to have a good time.

I would suggest kayaking on one of the days. Anyone else have any other ideas?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Draft Gros Morne itinerary

Hope you have unlimited km's on your car, otherwise NFLD can get pricey...

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,057 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Draft Gros Morne itinerary

If you haven't already rented your car you are likely too late. I'm surprised that you managed to get a one-way rental (perhaps you are paying an arm and a leg for drop off?).

Also since you are talking only a few weeks from now I'm assuming you have your accommodations all booked by now? I hope so.

Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Draft Gros Morne itinerary

Hi - thanks for the advice everyone. We do have all our accommodations and car booked. We are flying into deer lake so will pick up a car there. Any ideas on restaurants or must-do hikes would be great!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Draft Gros Morne itinerary

Great job planning ahead by booking a car and accomadations! Like others posters said be sure to book ahead.

Some of the hikes that you should try out include gros Morne mountain and tablelands. I haven't personally done all of them but I am sure some others have.

Enjoy your trip, I hope it is fully of good memories :)

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Draft Gros Morne itinerary

A hike to the top of Gros Morne is essential in my opinion... Its 16km and will take the a day... its a tough walk up the gully, but you will be rewarded by the views on top. Tip-get there early, it gets pretty busy on a nice day!

The 8km hike to the base is mostly through woods and even at the end where it opens up the view is not that great...at least when compared to the top.

Gros Morne National...
Destination Expert
for Gros Morne National Park
Level Contributor
666 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Draft Gros Morne itinerary

The mountain at least the top section doesn't open until July 1st for hiking. bakers brook falls,green gardens,the coastal trail,stuckless pond, trout river pond hike,just to name a few.

Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Draft Gros Morne itinerary

Thanks everyone for your replies - really helpful! We returned from Gros Morne a couple weeks ago and just wanted to share our experiences with the trails for other potential visitors. It is so beautiful there.

Western Brook Pond

- This is the trail that takes you out to boat tour and is a really nice walk. Most of it has boardwalk. It doesn't have much cover/shade and it's best to go on a nice day. Bad weather can ruin both the hike and the boat tour (which has gorgeous scenery).

Southeast Brook Falls

- We did this walk on a rainy, foggy day. It was still very nice to do a quick walk. It is mostly covered so rain doesn't impact the walk much. The waterfalls are a great sight and quite special in the fog during springtime.

Mattie Mitchell

- This is a very short walk and there was not that much in terms of views. However, we did see a moose nearby when we were visiting.

Gros Morne Mountain (to the base)

- The mountain wasn't open yet so we hiked to the base. It was not exactly an easy hike as it still escalates quite a bit throughout the trail (some parts of stairs and some not). We also did this during a rainy/foggy day. It would probably be nicer during a sunny day but what we found most interesting is were the changes in vegetation as you climb up. In my original itinerary, I planned on doing this hike with the western brook one - I would not recommend this as even the hike to the base can be quite tiring and the trails are not very close by.

Tablelands

- We got to join a tour briefly for this hike, which made us appreciate the land and geology surrounding this hike much more. I believe hikes run on a regular basis from the discovery centre or you could borrow a GPS unit for a self-guided tour. This was an easy walk that is well worth it. There is no cover at all so be prepared for sun/elements.

Burnt Hill Trail (community trail in Norris Point)

- We did this hike around sunset. There are some nice views and it fits in quite well for an after dinner walk. The start is near the bonne bay marine centre, behind the crafts store.

James W. Humber Trail (community trail in Norris Point)

- The lookout was amazing and the trail was also quite enjoyable. Although it was not difficult, there are quite a few stairs on this hike. At the lookout, there is also a heritage home there for visitors. The lookout may also be good for sunset watching but we discovered wild cove for this.

Both the coastal drive and the tablelands drives are breathtaking. You will definitely pass them as you go through Norris Point to Cowhead or to the tablelands. We also did sea kayaking with gros morne adventures and would recommend that for a wonderful time.

Hope this helps!

9. Re: Draft Gros Morne itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 03, 2015