We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

west coast, trip planning

Montreal
Level Contributor
48 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
west coast, trip planning

Hi - My husband and I are planning our first trip (driving) to Newfoundland July 17-29 arriving at Port Aux Basques (have already booked the ferry). Want to explore the West Coast, up to St. Anthony and back. Will spend one night in Stephenville on the way back to visit family. Prefer drives of about 2 hrs. a day and if possible, an occasional opportunity to fish or golf. Need advice re which are the prettiest towns to stop at on our route and B&B suggestions (quiet, comfortable beds, with private bath) in those towns and restaurant suggestions would also be welcome. Thanks so much!

Victoria BC
Level Contributor
171 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: west coast, trip planning

Just a second vote for Rose Blanche - just 45 minutes from the ferry at Port aux Basque. After 4 weeks in Newfoundland over two trips in 8 months, this was the most pleasant surprise. If you are leaving from Port aux Basque on the morning ferry, spend your last night in Rose Blanche, but leave some time for exploring.

Montreal
Level Contributor
48 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: west coast, trip planning

Hi - we just this afternoon returned home, so hope I am not too late with my response. We drove to North Sydney, Nova Scotia and took the ferry from there to Port Aux Basques in Nd. A 6 hour crossing, very stable and comfortable but you do have to book in advance through Marine Atlantic (can do it on line.)

13. Re: west coast, trip planning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, August 03, 2015