We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 adults in western newfoundland september '06

Gatineau, Canada
Level Contributor
96 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
8 adults in western newfoundland september '06

We just booked today Ottawa to Deer Lake to rent 2 cars & do the viking trail & a night on labrador! Question is: where is the best places for a fairly large group to stay while doing about 60 miles a day to in 7 days. We know it is very doable in a week but never having been there we would appreciate recommendations of accomidations and must see places besides gros morne, anse aux meadows, etc.(which we are planning on seeing anyway).Any special place off the typical tourist trail that is a must to see ( or a must visit restuarant or bar)that a past tourist or local can reccommend.L ooking forward to any replies, thanks.

Ottawa, Ontario...
Level Contributor
281 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 adults in western newfoundland september '06

wherenow -

The Viking Trail is a wonderful trip! My suggestion would be to spend the bulk of your time in Gros Morne, using a hotel in Rocky Harbour or Cow Head as a base, then maybe one night in Labrador and one or two nights in St. Anthony and/or L'Anse aux Meadows.

A nice casual restaurant in St. Anthony is The Lightkeepers. There's also a fantastic fine dining restaurant right near L'Anse-aux-Meadows. I'll have to find the name of it!

Within Gros Morne - be sure to take the Western Brook Pond Boat Tour - the view of the fjords is magnificent!

Noel

Gatineau, Canada
Level Contributor
96 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 adults in western newfoundland september '06

Thanks Noel, your info will be helpful when we get there.

Venice, FL
Level Contributor
11 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 adults in western newfoundland september '06

Don't know if you plan to go East towards St. John's, but if you do, the highlight of our 2 weeks in Newfoundland was Woody Island Resort. This is like summer camp for adults (Martha Stewart was one of their well-known campers). The trip starts in Garden Cove with an hour boat trip to the Island. Newfoundland folk tunes play and muffins and hot beverages are provided. Once you arrive at the island, you climb the hill to the main building for orientation and room assignments. Rooms are simple, but nice. Free time before lunch can be used to walk to the beach. Lunch is served at large tables. After lunch you can explore the island. Dinner was served (with a nice white wine), then live entertainment follows and a camp fire. The next morning they serve you breakfast before you pack your gear to be stowed on the boat. Around 11 am you leave for an hour cruise followed by a picnic lunch at their shelter on another part of the island. After lunch its time to head back to Garden Cove. You arrive around 3pm. Yours hosts are absolutely wonderful and you will find that a lot of the guests are natives who are eager to tell you about their home. The price is very reasonable when you consider all that is provided. They have an excellent website: www,woodyi.com.

4. Re: 8 adults in western newfoundland september '06

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:30 pm, May 17, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 8 adults in western newfoundland september '06

I just returned from a 2 week vacation where I spent 1 week in Gros Morne and 1 week in St. John's.

The discovery centre in Woody Point had great information about Gros Morne. I would highly recommend checking it out. Of course the Tablelands is a must see. We also hiked the Green Garden trail and the Lookout which were very nice. We did hike up Gros Morne. I'm fairly fit and the sign says 6-8 hours but it took me 9 hous. Hiking isn't something I normally do.

There was a really good restaurant in Woody Point called The Loft (I think, or somehting like that). IT's on top of a craft store. Excellent food! One of my best meals. The service wasn't as good, but I'd go back anyway.

Hope this helps.

6. Re: 8 adults in western newfoundland september '06

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 pm, August 15, 2009