We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

14 day trip planning

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,235 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
14 day trip planning

Hello,

We will be traveling for 3 weeks next summer. Our trip will include 8 nights in Nova Scotia and 14 nights in Newfoundland. We are in the early stages of planning and currently plan to take the ferry to Port Aux Basque (RT), although we have debated about coming in from Argentia and going out Port Aux Basque or vice versa. We may take night sailings so as to not lose precious time. We don't want our trip to feel rushed and I know there is a LOT of driving involved, which we don't mind at all. We take a large road trip each year.

We do want to spend a chunk of time at Gros Morne. We are looking at spending 3 or 4 full days there , where we will also take the Western Boat tour , hike Gros Morne Mountain and a few smaller hikes. We have not yet decided if we will go all the way to St Anthony. Other than about the 5-6 nights that would cover Gros Morne (is that too many?), we are open for suggestions for our next 8. We would like to spend 2-3 nights in one place and to explore ..as well as avoiding packing and unpacking!

We are hikers (moderate difficulty),60 " ish", big into nature and landscape photography, love meeting the local residents.

I am looking for recommendations for great places to photograph, which little peninsulas are worth exploring..although I am sure they are all worth exploring. Must see places. I wish we had time to so some of the East Coast Trail.

I am reading all the trip reports and blogs to get ideas . Are there any spot-on travel guides that you might recommend?

We traveled to Alaska this summer and bought a book called the Milepost. It was a driving guide that pointed out all the landmarks in all the roads in Alaska.Is there a book like that for Newfoundland?

Thank you for any suggestions!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
55,527 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: 14 day trip planning

Your choices are good ones because they are feeding what your priorities are. That is the main and important thing. There would be no reason at all to not come back another time. My guess is you will probably want to, once you've set foot on The Rock.

St. John's, Canada
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
3,355 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: 14 day trip planning

Don't forget to visit The Rooms while in St. John's, site of the provincial museum and art gallery. There are some fantastic views of the harbour and narrows from there.

We just came back from our summer home in the Bonavista area, and some friends (who work in tourism) reported a very busy summer in Bonavista with accommodations fully booked many nights. You may want to make sure you have reservations if there are certain B&B's or hotels you really want, especially in Fogo as demand can be really high.

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,235 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: 14 day trip planning

Mifti,

We just returned this summer from a road trip in Alaska,where there are long driving distances between towns and cities. We learned that if you don't pace your trip and allow for not only down time but weather windows, it can make or break a trip. We want to enjoy each place . I am betting that you are right, we will want to return :)

I just found out that the Marine-Altantic ferry schedules will be published in January for the summer.

janidd, thank you for the tip. We have 3 nights planned for Bonavista. Thinking about basing ourselves inTrinity East. Will definitely have reservations in advance..making my short list.

Our latest schedule:

after :

1 night Alma/ Waterside, NB,

6 nights in NS,

(Advocate Harbour to kayak Bay of Fundy and Cape Breton Island)

Ferry to Port Aux Basque--night sailing

Cape St George 1 night

Gros Morne 4 nights

Twillingate 3 nights

Fogo Island 2 nights

Bonavista/Trinity 3 nights

St John 2 nights

St Mary's 1 night

St Bride's 1 night

(TAT--is this a good plan for Avalon? We are aiming to see Mistaken Point and St Mary's Ecological Reserves)

Argentia - Ferry --nightsailing

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,235 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: 14 day trip planning

I hope I am not driving you crazy..we are rethinking our Nova Scotia leg.

Thinking of postponing the first 2 days of Nova Scotia and adding them to Newfoundland to get up to St Anthony and/or the ferry to Labrador. We would use day 1 of the current NL itinerary , giving us 3 days to add north of Gros Morne.

Are we crazy?

Edited: 9:33 am, September 22, 2012
Montreal
Level Contributor
816 posts
436 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: 14 day trip planning

No you are not crazy! I think your instinct to go to St. Anthony (and hopefully visiting L'Anse aux Meadows UNESCO site while you are there) is a good one. It was definitely worth it for us.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
55,527 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: 14 day trip planning

Yes, do it!! Not sure you need 3 DAYS, perhaps 2 DAYS. Maybe 3 nights to allow 2 full days.

Montreal
Level Contributor
816 posts
436 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: 14 day trip planning

I did what I think was a speed visit of the area:

Day 1 (overnight in Pistolet Bay campground, not far from St. Anthony): left early from Trout River campground in Gros Morne in the morning (GM Park is about a 2 hour drive from south to north boundaries); visited Torrent River Salmon Centre on the way north; reached Pistolet Bay Provincial Park by 2:30pm and got our campsite; by 4:00pm we were at L'Anse aux Meadows and had 2 hours to visit, which was plenty. That left the evening to relax.

Day 2 (overnight at Green Point, Gros Morne) The next morning we arose early and drove into St. Anthony, drank our Tim Horton's coffee out on Fishing Point around 7:30-8:00am (this is supposed to be a great place to see icebergs when they are around). There is a good souvenir store at the Point. We walked a couple of the shorter trails at Fishing Point, and by 9:00 visited the Grenfell Museum, the Rotunda and the House Museum (also walked the trail to the lookout). That took about 2 and a half hours. Our plan was to head south by then, but we were urged to see Norstead, so we made some time to see it. If I had my time back, I did not need to see both L'Anse aux Meadows and Norstead, I got what I needed from LAM (many say Norstead is very animated, but not when we were there). We stopped at Port au Choix historic site on the way back. It was raining so we did not do the trails, but it was worth it, my son really liked it - he did the activities in the Explorer booklet, which really made it come to life for him. We stopped by Ben Ploughman's Art Studio while in Port au Choix. We arrived back at Green Point, Gros Morne by app. 6pm.

Note that we packed a hamper for our camping trip so we did not lose a lot of time to stopping to eat in restaurants or buying snacks along the way.

Hope this helps in terms of timing what you can do while you are up there.

38. Re: 14 day trip planning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, October 01, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Newfoundland and...