We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NFLD granite coasters,where to get?

Wallaceburg, Canada
Level Contributor
111 posts
1 review
Save Topic
NFLD granite coasters,where to get?

arriving port aux basque jul29/12 and will be driving to st.anthony over a couple of days and after seeing a CBC PROGRAM LAND&SEA would like to purchase some granite coasters. tried googling but no results only a slate co. any ideas or spots some one could suggest i could find these as according to the program they are world famous.

regards&later KEWATIN

Montreal
Level Contributor
816 posts
436 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NFLD granite coasters,where to get?

Just off the top of my head these are places that MIGHT have them (in St. John's) - Geo Centre gift shop, Newfoundland Weavery, Living Rooms, Signal Hill gift shop, The Rooms gift shop. I am heading to NL right now - if I see them I will post.

Wallaceburg, Canada
Level Contributor
111 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: NFLD granite coasters,where to get?

kewatin here ,really appreciate your help,hopfully they will have some imput for you to post. again thanks

regards&later KEWATIN

Placentia, Canada
Level Contributor
736 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NFLD granite coasters,where to get?

The Hurleys family in Burgoynes Cove are those that make the coasters(bonavista bay )

Most of the local shops will carry them I believe.....it is the son now that runs the slate mine...

Montreal
Level Contributor
816 posts
436 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NFLD granite coasters,where to get?

Granite coaster sighting today, in the gift shop near Bonavista Lighthouse. $49.95 for 4. I believe the company name was Madoc...

When I arrived in St. John's, saw that my sister-in-law had some on her coffee table, that her son had given her. Unfortunately she did not know where he had bought them. All I know is that they did not come from Newfoundland.

Will keep you posted as I travel...

Wallaceburg, Canada
Level Contributor
111 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: NFLD granite coasters,where to get?

Really appreciate your help and comeback, unfortunately we are heading north to st. anthony,not south to st. johns, but at every opportunity we wil be looking for them&asking. thank you again so much.

regards&later KEWATIN

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,931 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NFLD granite coasters,where to get?

Determined to take home a piece of "the rock", eh? :)

Montreal
Level Contributor
816 posts
436 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NFLD granite coasters,where to get?

I am curious - did you finally find your granite coasters? On my trip, I could not find any granite coasters that were made locally, but I saw the shale coasters made in Bonavista for sale at the gift shop in L'Anse aux Meadows UNESCO site.

Wallaceburg, Canada
Level Contributor
111 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: NFLD granite coasters,where to get?

thanks for your reply, ironically we saw the coasters at LANSE AUX MEADOW also but thought the $40 plus tax for 4 coasters a bit much so we passed on them. i am going to try and contact the mfg directly &see if that makes a difference or wait till the recession really crashes and some normality returns instead off greed. we did immensily enjoy ourselves in newfoundland and the experience was increditable. not a bad experience on the whole trip.

regards&later KEWATIN

Placentia, Canada
Level Contributor
736 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: NFLD granite coasters,where to get?

good to hear that you enjoyed your trip here...and yeah the prices on the gifts are abit overpriced.....but still hopes that you will return

Banks, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: NFLD granite coasters,where to get?

Hey krp, nice to see you here!! Haha, yes, it seems everybody wants to take home a piece of the rock, don't they? Mine was a gorgeous pair of tiny little stud labradorite earrings-I loved them! Freaked out a few weeks ago-one went down the drain and I couldn't retrieve it! So..............I need to go back and get another pair, right? Haha-I mentioned that to someone here at work and they questioned a trip clear back to Newfoundland for a pair of earrings. I told her 'well, you obviously have never been to Newfoundland----any excuse to go back is a valid one". :)))) just need time and money now . I so loved those earrings though-went with just about everything. :(

Edited: 10:35 am, August 17, 2012