We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Some Travel Tips for 2 Week Tour of Newfoundland

Alberta
Level Contributor
3,609 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Need Some Travel Tips for 2 Week Tour of Newfoundland

We've booked a two week trip to Newfoundland for the end of August-September period. Have flight, rental car, and first night in St. John's booked. However, we are having trouble getting started on figuring out how to approach the rest of the trip. About the only plan we have is to get from St. John's to L'Anse aux Meadows. We have the Newfoundland Tourism Traveler's Guide, and map, but it seems to be set up more for shorter local trips rather than all of the province.

Have you any suggestions on how to get started, or must see locations, or general routes? We are older and will not be doing any major hiking, or jumping off glaciers! Just generally want to see the scenery and explore the history of the province. I think once we firm up some must see's in the various parts of the province, it should be downhill after that. We do need to get our accommodation booked, so any help you can provide is much appreciated. This is much tougher than booking an all inclusive to Mexico!

Placentia, Canada
Level Contributor
736 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Some Travel Tips for 2 Week Tour of Newfoundland

A driving holiday I presume?By far the best way.

Give route some thought

St.Johns - Ferryland -Trepassy (overnight)- St. Vincents -Colinet -Branch -St.Brides -Placentia (another possible stay)

This loop will cover the majority of the rural avalon.

Then take the highway at Whitbourn to the Bonavista turnoff and experience this peninsula(great pictures and maybe another night)

Travel back to the highway and onto Terra Nova park -Gander -Grand Falls....the highway straight through till the turnoff to the northern peninsula.Loads of scenery on the way .

Some great pics to be taken on the way up the northern peninsula,Conche for excample.

This is only some ideas,feel free to private message me for further help

best aluck to ya

Gros Morne National...
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
1,664 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Some Travel Tips for 2 Week Tour of Newfoundland

I would suggest:

1. Do some reading on NL in general then check out other members trip reports on the right hand side.

2. Make a list of the sites and activies that appeal to you. Also make note of the possible locations where that site/activity is done. Some will only have one area or one area where that activity is best done/seen.

3. Take a map and mark out where those locations are. You will find that most form clusters with just a few outliers. Take you list from Step 2 and cross off all the outliers that are not a priority.

4. Draw a line between each of your clusters and the one or two outliers that you have remaining. If your travel line extends further than half way across the island you are better off flying into one side of the island and exiting the other (Deer Lake vs. St. John's)

Newfoundland is some great highlights separated by some very dull areas. For example TAT2011's suggestion of "St. Vincents, Branch, Colinet, St. Brides, Placentia, Terra Nova, Gander, Grand Falls" I find are very dull areas, with only two weeks to spend I would focus on the highlights.

Who knows maybe I am out to luch and TAT2011 could flesh out what they like about those areas.

Gros Morne National...
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
1,664 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Some Travel Tips for 2 Week Tour of Newfoundland

I would suggest:

1. Do some reading on NL in general then check out other members trip reports on the right hand side.

2. Make a list of the sites and activies that appeal to you. Also make note of the possible locations where that site/activity is done. Some will only have one area or one area where that activity is best done/seen.

3. Take a map and mark out where those locations are. You will find that most form clusters with just a few outliers. Take you list from Step 2 and cross off all the outliers that are not a priority.

4. Draw a line between each of your clusters and the one or two outliers that you have remaining. If your travel line extends further than half way across the island you are better off flying into one side of the island and exiting the other (Deer Lake vs. St. John's)

Newfoundland is some great highlights separated by some very dull areas. For example TAT2011's suggestion of "St. Vincents, Branch, Colinet, St. Brides, Placentia, Terra Nova, Gander, Grand Falls" I find are very dull areas, with only two weeks to spend I would focus on the highlights.

Who knows maybe I am out to luch and TAT2011 could flesh out what they like about those areas.

Placentia, Canada
Level Contributor
736 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Some Travel Tips for 2 Week Tour of Newfoundland

I'm a lover of the Cape and Southern Shores.The scenery is none stop with rolling hills,coves,valleys and hundreds of feet high cliffs.In regards to history ,well, the history is in the people and their way!

Want a kitchen party?Just ask and you shall recieve!

Beaches are some of the best on the island(Point lance ,Gooseberry Cove...these are on the Cape Shore)

Placentia itself was a french colony and Castle Hill has the remains of the old outpost....hundreds of years old.

There are dialects spoken on the Cape Shore that include gaelic,latin and irish and cannot be heard anywhere else on the Island.

It would all depend on what type of vacation you would want

best aluck

St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Some Travel Tips for 2 Week Tour of Newfoundland

Hello,

From a historical and scenery perspective, I would recommend the following areas as must dos.

i would recommend a few days around St. John's to explore the city, local museums etc and with day trips down along Witless Bay to Ferryland. The interpretation center at Ferryland provides an excellent overview of early British colonization in NL.

From St. John's, travel toCupids to visit the oldest colony in NL..also has an excellent interpretation centre. You can walk through the excavated remains of the original colony.

From here, travel to the Bonavista Peninsula with stops at Trinity ( to see the reconstuction of this historical, heritage community ), the Random passage site in Old bonaventure ( to see a reconstructed community dating to the early 1800's) and Bonavista ( to learn about the history of fishing in NL)

Travel on to Gros Morne for a few nights and days of scenery and finally on to Lanse aux Meadows.

I would be happy to provide more specifics!

6. Re: Need Some Travel Tips for 2 Week Tour of Newfoundland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, June 22, 2013