We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry from Argentia, N. L. - North Sydney, N. S

Kitchener, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
Ferry from Argentia, N. L. - North Sydney, N. S

Hi everyone , I am planning my first trip to Newfoundland. Will be driving from Toronto and taking the ferry across.

My question is about the return ferry from Argentia. I am travelling alone so is booking a cabin feasable ? Or needed ? Would I have to pay for all berths ? The website is not realy clear on that .

Thanks in advance will be travelling in late July.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
379 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry from Argentia, N. L. - North Sydney, N. S

I don't know about the cabins since they were filled. My wife and I ended up in the dorm section. There are four berths, upper and lower on both sides. We found them fine and had a decent night's sleep. Quite a bit cheaper. Of course, we were the only people in that room so my opinion would be different if we had been stuck with somebody noisy.

I suggest you directly call the ferry company. The representative I spoke with was very friendly and helpful.

St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
106 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry from Argentia, N. L. - North Sydney, N. S

Hello,

I took the NS - Argentia crossing when I drove from Toronto. I will tell you that even though you might be alone, you will appreciate having a cabin. I had an overnight crossing from NS to Argentia (or it was when I went). You get on the boat, go to your cabin, then sleep. I got off the boat feeling refreshed and ready for the day.

The time before that, I went on the NS to PAB crossing. I decided to nix the cabins, since it was only going to be a short ride. What a mistake! About an hour into the trip, I was looking for a cabin and they were full. I got off the boat tired and swore that the next time that I got on the boat, I would get a cabin.

Some people do without a cabin and are fine. There are new ferries this year and they are quite comfortable looking. I would perhaps chance it now, going on the NS - PAB crossing without a cabin. But, definitely not the Argentia - NS crossing.

I know that there are double berth cabins this year instead of just the 4 berth ones. See if the ferry that you will be on will have a two berth. I do not know if they are less expensive than the 4 berth, but they should be and they are more spacious looking than that 4 bed one.

Have fun on your trip!

Medicine Hat, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry from Argentia, N. L. - North Sydney, N. S

How much extra is it to book a berth or dorm space? I couldn't find that on their website.

St. John's, Canada
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
3,772 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry from Argentia, N. L. - North Sydney, N. S

Talking directly to Marine Atlantic is a good idea, but cabin rates for Argentia are posted here....scroll down.

marine-atlantic.ca/eng/argentia-sydney.asp

Medicine Hat, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry from Argentia, N. L. - North Sydney, N. S

Thank-you...somehow I missed it. Looking forward to our trip there this summer. Lifelong dream to go to N.L.

6. Re: Ferry from Argentia, N. L. - North Sydney, N. S

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:05 pm, January 28, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,825 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferry from Argentia, N. L. - North Sydney, N. S

Welcome to the forum, LovJoy ~

http://www.marine-atlantic.ca

Click the above link open and look under the black menu bar button that says "View Departures." That will take you to the rates information.

Just a heads up on two things. It is better to ask your own question than to reactivate a thread that is old and has been started by someone else. Just keeps a thread from getting confusing and "waking up" Napoleaninrags, the first poster with a notification of further activity on the thread. Second, to avoid the possibility of having unwanted and unwelcome emails arriving on your computer, it is advisable to not publish your real email address on a public forum. You can remove your post by clicking on the blue print "Report inappropriate content" at the bottom edge of your text box, then choosing "Remove my post" from the drop down menu.

Chatham, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Ferry from Argentia, N. L. - North Sydney, N. S

Thank-you very much . Your post was very helpfull.

9. Re: Ferry from Argentia, N. L. - North Sydney, N. S

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 30, 2014