We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Your Advice ...Quick

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Topic
Need Your Advice ...Quick

My husband and I want to take advantage of the WestJet sale that is now on and we need your advice. We would like to visit Nova Scotia including Cape Breton, PEI and Newfoundland. We have 10-12 days for this holiday in late Sept. early Oct. My husband is afraid of heights and tall bridges so we’ll need to take ferries to each of the provinces. We’ll need to rent a car.

So my questions are as follows:

Should we fly to Newfoundland and work ourselves west? What makes sense for starting and end points. We’ll be flying back to Toronto.

Please provide an itinerary re: where to catch ferries, and a route that makes sense. we’ll fill in the rest once we have the basic outline.

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Breton Island
Cape Breton Island
Nova Scotia, Canada
Newfoundland
Newfoundland
Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
4 replies to this topic
St. John's, Canada
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
4,222 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Your Advice ...Quick

Quick answer.......You will probably not be able to pick up a car rental in Newfoundland and drop it in Nova Scotia, or the reverse. Otherwise, I would suggest you start in Nova Scotia, drive around there and PEI, then take the ferry to Newfoundland and fly home from St. John’s.

I think you should fly to St. John’s, drive across the island enjoying some sites like Bonavista, Twillingate and Gros Morne, then return the rental in Deer Lake and fly to Halifax (unless the one way drop St. John’s to Deer Lake proves too costly)

Once in Halifax, you can drive around Nova Scotia and visit PEI before flying home from Halifax. You should be able to do this, or a similar version by using the multi city feature when booking WestJet.

Hope this quick answer helps!

Mentioned in this post
Newfoundland
Newfoundland
St. John's
St. John's
Newfoundland, Canada
Bonavista
Bonavista
Newfoundland, Canada
Twillingate
Twillingate
Newfoundland, Canada
Gros Morne National Park
Gros Morne National Park
Newfoundland, Canada
Deer Lake
Deer Lake
Newfoundland, Canada
Halifax
Halifax
Halifax Region, Canada
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Your Advice ...Quick

Thanks. Where do you catch the ferry in Nova Scotia to PEI? Where do you catch the ferry from PEI to Newfoundland?

Mentioned in this post
Newfoundland
Newfoundland
St. John's, Canada
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
4,222 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Your Advice ...Quick

Nova Scotia to PEI in Caribou near Pictou Nova Scotia. The PEI ferry takes just 75 minutes. Ferry to Newfoundland from North Sydney Nova Scotia, it takes 6 hours to Port aux Basques NL or 16 hours to Argentia NL.

Edited: 5:11 pm, June 12, 2018
Mentioned in this post
Newfoundland
Newfoundland
Sydney
Sydney
Cape Breton Island, Canada
Port aux Basques
Port aux Basques
Newfoundland, Canada
Cambridge
Level Contributor
174 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Your Advice ...Quick

There is no ferry from PEI to Newfoundland....the ferry goes from North Sydney, Nova Scotia to Port aux Basques, Newfoundland...You need to check crossing times but I believe it is 6-7 hours depending on weather.

As previously mentioned you really need to look into rental cars because you will not be able to take a rental car off the island of Newfoundland. The drop off fee for the car if not returning it to your original rental location is usually around $250 but it does vary. So if you are renting in St. John's and returning to Deer Lake the rental fees start to add up.

Mentioned in this post
Newfoundland
Newfoundland
Sydney
Sydney
Cape Breton Island, Canada
St. John's
St. John's
Newfoundland, Canada
Deer Lake
Deer Lake