We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to go in New Brunswick?

Kingston, NY
Level Contributor
18 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
where to go in New Brunswick?

I have heard that there are charming beach towns in New Brunswick and the water is quite warm. Can you tell me the name(s) of any such vaction towns that might be a good destination for a summer beach vacation? We live in NYS.

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,770 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to go in New Brunswick?

Hi Kingston!

It's true, although some of the claims may run ahead of reality a little bit.

It works something like this. The Atlantic-facing coast of North America as far south as Cape Hatteras is subject to the chilly Labrador Current. You'd know that if you swim along the New Jersey shore or Cape Cod. Even in summer, ocean temperatures there rarely get up to 70°, and even at the warmest times of the year 50s are not unknown at the beach.

The Gulf of St. Lawrence, though, does not get exposure to the Labrador current. The flow of the St. Lawrence River keeps the icy water out, allowing the water to warm up during the long spring and summer days. In late spring and summer, we have the best ocean temperatures on the Eastern Seaboard. It's far from bathtub warm, but it's considerably more pleasant than the Atlantic and Bay of Fundy coasts.

The east coast of New Brunswick, the Bay of Chaleur, Prince Edward Island, northern Nova Scotia and the west coast of Newfoundland all benefit. And it isn’t just sea water temperatures. Cold water breeds sea fog and drizzly days in spring and early summer, but places along the Gulf and Northumberland Strait are spared most spring fog. Warm (even hot) days are much preferably to fog, rain and biting ocean winds.

In New Brunswick, let me suggest a few spots:

- Shediac and the coast running eastward. It's not particularly quaint, because this is the most popular beach area for people from Moncton, but there's lots of sand and the water is pleasant

- Boutouche. There's more quaintness here, especially the Acadian French variety at La pays de la Sagouine. (English is widely spoken, so don't worry about culture shock.) Just north of the little town is Buctouche Dune, a 10-mile sand bar reaching out into the ocean. They've built a 1 ½ mile boardwalk along it, and the entire stretch of dune is one vast sand beach.

- Kouchibouguac. Not a village, but a Canadian National Park, with still more sand beaches and lots of national park scenery.

- Caraquet, on the Bay of Chaleur. Not a beach, but the vibrant heart of French New Brunswick. (And like everyplace else in New Brunswick, English is always widely spoken for the tourists.)

- The islands from Shippagan, Lameque and Miscou, a chain of fishing villages stretching out to sea, connected by a paved highway. It's off the beaten track from a tourism point of view, but we think this merely increases the charm.

By the way, if it's quaintness you seek as well as sun and sand, continue from New Brunswick across the 9-mile Confederation Bridge to Prince Edward Island. Canada's smallest province oozes quaintness around every bend in the road, especially when you get off the main road.

Happy travels!

David

capetien10@gmail.com

Kingston, NY
Level Contributor
18 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to go in New Brunswick?

David, I so appreciate your time to share such an informative reply. It will provide me with a quality resource as I further investigate our options. Thank you so much, Jessica

3. Re: where to go in New Brunswick?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 pm, June 18, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Saint John