We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weather and clothing in Sept

Which Saint John hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
derbyshire uk
Level Contributor
18 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
weather and clothing in Sept

H, Can anyone advise me on the weather in sept and what sort of clothing we shall need?

May I take this opportunity to thank you all in advance for your helpful comments, and thanks to all that have replied to my previous topic regarding cruise stop.

Alison

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: weather and clothing in Sept

Same advice as you were given on the Nova Scotia forum

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,670 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: weather and clothing in Sept

Hi Alison!

September is our best kept tourist secret. When Pope John Paul the Great wanted to come visit New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, he chose September.

September is the month when you're most likely to get sunny, dry days. The fog that can plague our early summer mornings is gone. Most days, the mercury will get up to about 20° C. At night, expect around 10°. There is absolutely no chance of snow. Late in the month, nighttime temperatures may fall as low as 2° in the hollows, with a risk of frost inland, but any frost melts as soon as the sun comes up. And this is just the very minimum. Likely you'll see no frost.

You'll appreciate a warm sweater in the evenings and early morning. I'd also bring a windbreaker jacket. If you wouldn't wear a winter parka in England in September, you won't in New Brunswick either.

At least not on land. I've found when I'm on the water that the air usually feels colder than ashore. I think anyone cruising on the north Atlantic, even in July, is well advised to bring a winter coat in your luggage, even if people at home laugh. I recall bitterly a two-hour whale-watching cruise where, even in my winter parka, I returned chilled to the bone from the biting sea wind.

Happy travels, and let me know if I can help further!

David

capetien10@gmail.com

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
37 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: weather and clothing in Sept

What a very nice response your email was to the lady. That helps my husband and I as we are planning to be in Maine/New Brunswick/Nova Scotia the end of August and first week of Sep 2011. Can you suggest some reasonable, good seafood restaurants in those areas?

Thanks so much,

Fran

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,670 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: weather and clothing in Sept

Hi Fran!

Let me suggest a couple of names in Halifax:

1) Five Fishermen

2) McKelvie's

These are two somewhat pricy restaurants that have been at their current locations for many years. The Five Fishermen has been there for 40! They are two names that jump to mind when local people need to think of a noteworthy seafood restaurant.

(I have no commercial interest in these joints and I don't know the owners. In fact, to get the names, I asked my office staff to think fast and give me a name! I concur with their responses.

(I hate even to answer questions like yours for fear that someone might think I'm a shill for the restaurant. I make an exception in this case because you asked in auch a kind and flattering manner!)

Remember that you don't have to pay excessively to find good, fresh seafood in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. It's very easy for restauranteurs to get their fish directly from the boats, if they want. You'll find a great many choices. I mention these two because of their long-standing reputation. You'll decide when you get here if you want to wander a bit and sniff out a better deal!

David

lorneville, nb...
Level Contributor
124 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: weather and clothing in Sept

Hi, Fran.

Billy's Seafood at the top end of the Saint John city market is good (and a nice place).

http://www.billysseafood.com/default.asp

I would say to Alison above, you never know. it could be 30C inland during the day and heading toward freezing at night. You'll be fine with layers.

That indeed goes for Maine and NS.

Have fun!

6. Re: weather and clothing in Sept

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 pm, October 17, 2012