We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Very Confused!

nj
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Very Confused!

I will be taking a Carnival Cruise that stops in Saint John. I am looking for things to do in the area that would be interesting. I have done a bunch of research, but am quite confused and was wondering if someone could explain a few things for me. First, I have read about the Bay of Fundy where you can take a drive or walk and see what the scenery has to offer. How far is this from the town of Saint John? Also I have read about the Hopewell Rocks and am unclear if they are within the same veiwing area as the Bay of Fundy park or not. Where are they located and how long does it take to get to them from Saint John? Also I have heard about the St. Martin's Caves... are they in the same area? I have also read about the reversing falls and the city market which has interested me a bit. If anyone could give me any information that would be wonderful! I am not sure if I should book excursions with the cruise or go at it on our own.

Thanks!!!

Saint John, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Very Confused!

Hi Confused

Not to worry. First off- with the limited time you will have on a cruise ship stop in Saint John spend you time on foot and explore the city. You will be traveling over the Bay of Fundy to get here and with the 25 to 30 foot tides in the harbour you will have a chance to experiance the phenominal power and range that the Bay goes thru each day.

The historic core of Saint John will be at your dock side and there is lots to see and do. There will be tour buses or water taxies to tour you around the town or If you are a bit fit hit the spectacular Harbour Passage trail and hike the mile and a half to The reversing falls and see it your self.

Visit http://www.tourismsaintjohn.com for lots of info and photos.

As nice as the areas you mentioned in your post are, they are all a drive away by road and will require a car hire or worse still a package tour bus

Hopewell 1.5 hours

St Martins 45 Minutes

We will be watching for you from our B&B perched on the hill overlooking the harbour I hope you have fun in

"The Friendliest Little City in the East""

RH

Dartmouth, NS
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Very Confused!

Mandy,

The previous post is correct, there is lots to do in Saint John as it does have a history and the port itself will show you the power of the Fundy Tides (Reversing Falls, or even just note where the water level is when you exit the boat, and then about 6 hours later).

Here are a few other spots I like in Saint John:

1 Irving Natural Park

2 Mispec Beach (great beach to take in the tides, and walk the ocean floor at low tide)

3 Walking the Downtown (some great old buildings and history), and the squares are great to sit in and watch the city folk

4 Cherrybrook Zoo

5 Rockwood Park

Hopewell Rocks and or Fundy National Park will take the full day as there is about 4 hours of driving (return), regardless if you book the tour or rent a car. The parks are worth the drive but it will not leave much time for other activities.

St. Martins is about a 40 minute drive from Saint John, and it is great place to take in the Fundy Coast scenery. If the ship offers a tour to St. Martins, it would be worth looking into, as it will likely offer some other activities and sites to make it a full day.

Saint John is a great Port-of-Call, and I am sure you will enjoy what ever you decide on.

Enjoy the maritimes, (we do)

CandC

3. Re: Very Confused!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 pm, September 28, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Saint John