We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report Of The Maritimes PEI & New Brunswick

Southern California
Level Contributor
497 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report Of The Maritimes PEI & New Brunswick

I asked in the preceding topic whether it is doable to travel from Baddeck to Charlottetown, Green Gables to Moncton. in one day? The answer is:Yes, provided you have the patience of Job in driving from morning to sundown.

We started our 5th day in Nova Scotia as we left our hotel in Baddeck at 8:30am. It was a sunny nice day compared to the previous four wet days. The southbound 105 was also scenic because Bra d'Orr Lake. We have to omit Iona and Highland Village, I heard it is a beautiful island within the lake. As we continue driving south, we noticed that everybody stops at Canso Causeway, it is a tiny strip of land that crosses the sea connecting two main islands Cape Breton and Northumberland Shores and/or rest of Nova Scotia. This is a very busy spot, saw some boats ferrying commercial goods in barges and small ships. What I have observed Cape Breton is preserved place for tourist, there are less inhabitants and manufacturing activities in the area. Once you get to Antigonish, it is more populated, more industrialized than their northern neighbors. I heard there used to be a Paper Manufacturing plant in Cape Breton which closed permanently because it could not compete with cheaper papers from Asia, people also left the islands and tourist industry became the main source of income of Cape Breton.

Going back to our driving tour, we stopped in Antigonish at the favorite coffee shop of Nova Scotians - Tim Horton. After few sips of coffee and bite of donuts we continue our journey to Caribou Ferry transferring from main road to another highway. it is a leisure driving in Canada without much stress compared to our impatient zigzagging motorists back home. Well, comparatively there is less traffic even though roads are much narrower than California freeways.

As soon as we arrived the Ferry point, every vehicle are lined up in rows for buses, commercial trucks, motor homes then cars. There is a kiosk nearby, (as Ken described in his reply) some drivers leave their cars on the row since there is no sight of the Ferry. At the kiosk, there is wash rooms, phone booths, tables where they served light lunch and vending machines everywhere. People congregate there and get acquainted with one another. One thing I loved in Canada, you can also use their wash rooms without paying. In Europe's WC, pay first before entering. In USA, rest rooms are for customers use only except for chain restaurants.

After 45 minutes wait, the Ferry arrived, you'd know if it was coming nearer because there would be surged from crowd to get back to their cars. It is like the Indianapolis race, rev up all engines and ready to go board the ferry. At the ferry, we had time to chat with fellow passengers for more one and half hour ride exchanged notes on our experiences on places visited. Foods were also being sold at the boat. TV's everywhere and chairs to slouch, kids busy with their electronic gadgets while older group start conversations . When we got to PEI, everyone was eager to get off the boat. Prince Edward Island is an idyllic place with green fields, rich vegetation and nice homes and mansion along the way. I guess, these are homes of opulent Canadians who have their vacation homes in this place because it is very costly to cross the island if you are just an ordinary employee working in the mainland in Nova Scotia. There are some businesses within the island, manufacturing activities plus a university in Charlottetown. It is also interesting to know the Prince Edward Island was where Canada was first discovered.

In our case, our main interest is to see the house of Matthew and his sister, Marilla Cuthbert at Green Gables. They all became famous when they adopted Anne. Everyone wants to see Anne's Green Gables house near Cavendish Beach. All of these characters were created by the author, Lucy Montgomery in her famous novel, Anne's Green Gable which is a HS book in the states. Unfortunately, the address cannot be pinpointed by GPS. The street signs are small so it is hard to follow the numbers indicated on the map. I stopped at the corner of Hunter River and 2 and asked some locals how to get to Green Gable? People are nice to give you directions.

Well, finally we found Anne's house and her favorite place the lake of shinning water. I didn't see a lake but a huge parking lot in front of a museum and a gift shop. (Just kidding) Of course, it has been transformed and the novel itself was based on the life of the author, Lucy describing her life in the 20th Century. This is a nice place to visit but I advised future travelers to read the novel first, it will be doubly interesting because you would recognize the characters mentioned in the book, Matthew's barn, carriage, Anne's reddish long hair, her majestic home and their kitchen where so many plots happened in that book. If you did not read the book, you'll still enjoy the beautiful country home in Prince Edward Island with endless romantic landscape. I just wonder whether how it is during Winter? It could also be a lonely place. Anne's place is not too far from Cavendish Beach, but I didn't see any beach goers, well Summer is over.

By 3pm, we're done with our visit with Anne's Green Gables and headed to Confederation Bridge. Again, our GPS led us the shortest route but it leads you to circle in the neighborhood and did not recognize unpaved and isolated roads, no choice but to follow the lady voice or else we get lost entirely. This could be tricky and scarry at night when you depend on moonlight. We got to Confederation Bridge, a great marvels of engineering worth paying C$44.00 Canadian to cross the bridge. It was a long one, then it crosses swampy places reminds me of the Everglades in Florida. We took Highway 15 on the way to New Brunswick the roads are fair, nothing really interesting because it is a diversion road that omits the town, they could have constructed this diversion on seaside to attract more businesses and motorists. Just my two cents. Well, by 4:30 pm we reached our Rodd Moncton Hotel. We noticed a pathway near the river at the back of the hotel. Later, we found out that this river comes from the waters of the Bay of Fundy. We learned from hotel staff the hours of low and high tides, a great natural phenomenon that is unheard of, where there are two tides displacement that happens everyday. A tidal bore or strong current coming in happens twice a day and recedes again after few hours. I have a ridiculous analogy that these tides work for the City of Moncton for free, they come and go at specific hours, tourists comes to this town just to witness the wonders of Bay of Fundy. Despite of its frequent occurrence, the tides don't destroy the river bed nor erode the nearby land. No sink holes nor tsunami, just tides that come and go at this corner of the earth. isn't that great?

Trip report to be continued for our 6th day in New Brunswick at Hopewell Rocks, Magnetic Hill, Shediac and Diepp.

Edited: 2:17 am, September 26, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Baddeck
Baddeck
Cape Breton Island, Canada
Charlottetown
Charlottetown
Prince Edward Island, Canada
Green Gables
Green Gables
1,260 Reviews
Cavendish, Canada
Moncton
Moncton
New Brunswick, Canada
Highland Village
Highland Village
268 Reviews
Cape Breton Island, Canada
Cape Breton Island
Cape Breton Island
Nova Scotia, Canada
United States
United States
North America
Cavendish Beach
Cavendish Beach
726 Reviews
Cavendish, Canada
Confederation Bridge
Confederation Bridge
258 Reviews
Bayfield, Canada
Florida
Florida
United States
Rodd Moncton Hotel
Rodd Moncton Hotel
649 Reviews
Moncton, Canada
Hopewell Rocks
Hopewell Rocks
2,019 Reviews
Hopewell Cape, Canada
Magnetic Hill Park
Magnetic Hill Park
500 Reviews
Moncton, Canada
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,185 posts
787 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report Of The Maritimes PEI & New Brunswick

That was one actioned packed day! Point to note, Canada was not discovered in PEI, rather Confederation was legally agreed to in Charlottetown...

Southern California
Level Contributor
497 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report Of The Maritimes PEI & New Brunswick

Point of correction is accepted.

It is really difficult to determine the real discoverers of Canada because the Indians and the Inuits were already living in this land when Europeans arrived in the 14th century. Based on British, French and Scandinavian Vikings' histories, they were the first to come to this land. From today's perspective with the help of google, we can surmised they were the first historians to record their discoveries and announced it to the civilized world.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
22,949 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report Of The Maritimes PEI & New Brunswick

Just one other point, which I also noted in your very excellent TR of Nova Scotia - it is Bras d'Or Lake ... not Bra d'Orr.

Charlottetown, PEI is the cradle of the Confederation of Canada. Perhaps that's what you are thinking of.

Mentioned in this post
Charlottetown
Charlottetown
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,161 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report Of The Maritimes PEI & New Brunswick

John Cabot landed in what is now Newfoundland in 1497 - the first European landing after the Vikings. There has always been some dispute about where exactly in current-day Newfoundland he landed. However, Cape Bonavista seems to be the most widely accepted site.

The Charlottetown Conference took place in 1864 and was one of the precursors to Confederation in 1867. There used to be a most interesting display about the Conference attached to the tourist information centre in Charlottetown (which, I believe, closed last year for financial reasons - the display, not the tourist information centre). Apparently the conference started out as an "Atlantic provinces conference" only. The representatives from "Canada" more or less invited themselves and were not expected. There was great scurrying around to find someone to meet them when their ship appeared in Charlottetown harbour. By the time, they were all done, however, agreements had been struck and Canada resulted three years later. (I'm really sorry that the display closed because the description of the entire event, which should really hold a solemn place on our country's history, was vastly entertaining.)

Edited: 7:55 pm, September 26, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Charlottetown
Charlottetown
Southern California
Level Contributor
497 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report Of The Maritimes PEI & New Brunswick

Sorry for the lull, we have to be on the road again to Northern California to visit our daughter and attend the 2nd birthday of our grandson.

Resuming our trip report on 6th day we consider as the highlight of our Maritime experience when we visited Hopewell Rocks. The scenery of the rocks are not that marvelous but if I tell someone who has not been in New Brunswick that those rocks would disappear within four hours without any earthquakes or erosion happening, one will be bewildered by such declaration. True, the ocean tides at Bay of Fundy is God's gift to NS or NB. It comes 2x daily yet it does not damaged landscape compared to what hurricanes and earthquakes does to shores and cities. Most of the travelers in Maritimes come from cruise, they missed this spot. They usually stopped in St. John and see the whirling water where the inflow and outflow of tides meet.

From there we went back to our hotel in Rodd Moncton Hotel. At the rear end of the hotel, there is a river that is connected with the Bay of Fundy, we saw mini roaring rapids when tides get back while water skiers took advantage of the rapids and rode on it. People seemed to be jovial every time they saw water coming back as if it is a blessing to this town. Moncton is a vibrant community and a university place I presumed because we met a lot of young people. When I saw those chain restaurants, commercials places in every nook, we thought we were home in SoCal. I guess it is a mini SoCal because the traffic was mild and forgiving as well.

We also visited this place called Magnetic Hill near Monction. There was zoo and amusement center nearby but what makes this hill a favorite of tourist is because of its natural attraction. Before going through the motion of putting our car in neutral gear, we first parked the car and I personally surveyed the slope of the road. I think I was on top of the hill and when I walked down, it was on downward slope. Some said that the hill is just an illusion. Anyway, I got back to the car and went down to the so called Magnetic Hill and when we reached the white pole, put the car on the neutral, lo and behold!!! the car was moving backwards without stepping the accelerator. I did it twice but on the 2nd time, I have to step on the accelerator because there was a car coming fast maybe without his control as well inbackward motion, we avoided any untoward accident along the Magnetic Hill.

From MH, we went to the town Shediak, home of lobster restaurants. I think I saw the largest lobster made of cement and painted in red. lol! It is the most prominent monument of Shediak. Nothing unusual about the lobsters in Shediak, I didn't see a row of restaurants nor a huge wet market place specializing lobsters. What you see in Maine, USA or Halifax or in a Moncton restaurant is what you experienced with the lobster place in Shediak. The town became famous because of their claim as world biggest lobster place.

We were supposed to proceed to the fossils cliff but decided to just rest at Fairfield Marriot Hotel in Diepp. We were preparing for our next day trip to Quebec. I can say this, the Moncton or Diepp Airport is the loneliest airport we visited in all our travels. You can buy live lobster in a box at the airport! Unfortunately, they open at 9:30 am and our flight is before 9 am. There were few people at the airport and few planes at the hangar. The one that supposed to bring us to Quebec City is good for twenty people with one seat in each window. It is a small plane. traveling back to Halifax changed planes, go to Trudeau Airport in Montreal pick up more passenger before arriving Quebec City. It is like a bus route. This was our dilemma when I first log in on this site. What is the best transportation to take between Moncton to Quebec City. It appears that is the fastest you can find.

I will continue my report to Quebec City forums and Montreal. Our rendezvous of Eastern Canada was laborious and a frenzied one but it was a time well spent. We were here not to have a vacation but to go on tour. The decision to visit the province of Quebec was a good one, it offers a different aura of Canadian experience.

Edited: 7:59 pm, October 25, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Hopewell Rocks
Hopewell Rocks
2,019 Reviews
Hopewell Cape, Canada
Rodd Moncton Hotel
Rodd Moncton Hotel
649 Reviews
Moncton, Canada
Moncton
Moncton
New Brunswick, Canada
Magnetic Hill Park
Magnetic Hill Park
500 Reviews
Moncton, Canada
Maine
Maine
United States
Halifax
Halifax
Halifax Region, Canada
Quebec City
Quebec City
Quebec, Canada
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,185 posts
787 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report Of The Maritimes PEI & New Brunswick

Good second leg to your TR...Shediac is the town in NB with world's largest lobster....

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,161 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report Of The Maritimes PEI & New Brunswick

I wondered where you had gone, since there seemed to be more to come about your trip. Many thanks for completing your report. We're off to New Brunswick next September; so the information about Hopewell Rocks and the Magnetic Hill was most interesting. Happy future travels.

Mentioned in this post
Hopewell Rocks
Hopewell Rocks
2,019 Reviews
Hopewell Cape, Canada
Magnetic Hill Park
Magnetic Hill Park
500 Reviews
Moncton, Canada
8. Re: Trip Report Of The Maritimes PEI & New Brunswick

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:35 pm, October 27, 2013
Edited: 9:35 pm, October 27, 2013
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,185 posts
787 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report Of The Maritimes PEI & New Brunswick

oh oh French accent comments and I would avoid racial descriptions about place, ie the Vancouver reference, it's supposed to be pretty politically correct on here.....

10. Re: Trip Report Of The Maritimes PEI & New Brunswick

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 9:18 pm, October 27, 2013