We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a trip and need some advice

Tennessee
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Planning a trip and need some advice

My husband and I are planning a vacation driving from Bangor, Maine into Canada leaving Wednesday July 9th and returning Tuesday July 15.

We plan to spend a day or two in the St. John's area and then will move on to either PEI or maybe Halifax. I've been to Halifax and the surrounding area before and loved it....and would like to show my husband as he has never been. But, since Halifax is further away, I was wondering whether PEI would be similar enough that if I enjoyed Nova Scotia previously I will find PEI just as nice.

Any suggestions on sites to see, and/or areas to stay would be appreciated. We will probably be spending three nights on PEI or in the Halifax area.

Thanks so much!

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
14,207 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a trip and need some advice

hi

a note for doing your research: Saint John is the spelling for the city in NB. St, John's is the city in Newfoundland.

to answer your question about PEI. It is a completely different landscape then the one you have seen in Halifax so hard to compare. You can easily see PEI by being based in Charlottetown (much smaller city than Halifax) with day trips to places like Cavendish.

so if you have to chose only 1; PEI is worth seeing once.

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,768 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a trip and need some advice

Hi TN!

If you've not been to Prince Edward Island before, but have been to Halifax, I think you have your answer!

Prince Edward Island is North America's capital of quaintness. The north shore of the Island, from the eastern end of PEI National Park past Cavendish, Stanley Bridge and Malpeque around to Summerside is rich in small town charm, with sterling vistas of small farms, woodlots, and the blue ocean beyond. In addition, the Halifax area is prone to sea fog in early July, spoiling your mornings and evenings. Prince Edward Island gets very little fog. (Bring your mosquito repellant, though!)

West of Summerside and east of Charlottetown, the tourists thin out, but there's still lots of rustic charm.

If you haven't done so yet, look at their Welcome Center's internet site:

www.peiplay.com

Order a Highway Map from them for free. At a 1:250,000 scale, it will show all manner of nooks and crannies you may not have thought of. They'll also send you an accommodations guide, and that's useful because in high summer rooms fill up fast. It's not a bad idea to find a place to stay by the night before. If, though, you arrive across the bridge without a room, drive into the Welcome Center just beyond the end of the bridge. They keep a list of places that still have rooms, and will help you book one.

From Bangor, ME the quickest and most scenic way is on Route 9 to Calais through rustic Washington County. As soon as you cross the border (Passports, please!) the NB-1 freeway gets you to St. John, NB in about an hour. It's another 90 minutes on the freeway to Moncton, than another hour's drive to Confederation bridge, the 10-mile long high bridge to the Island. Once you're in Canada, it's freeway all the way (unless you want to get off for taking the scenic route) except for the final 30 miles before the bridge.

Happy travels!

David

capetien10@gmail.com

Tennessee
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a trip and need some advice

Thanks for all the advice! We really appreciate the TripAdvisor forums and those willing to help others make the best of their vacations.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
769 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a trip and need some advice

Pei would be a great choice...either way you won't be disappointed...

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
82 posts
334 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning a trip and need some advice

OK, I'll throw another option in here.

How about spending some more time in New Brunswick, and by this I mean Fundy Park, Alma, Hopewell Rocks, Cape Enrage - all on the Fundy Coast.

The Fundy Biosphere has UNESCO designation and it's terrific.

http://fundy-biosphere.ca/en/

There's a lot to see.

Maritimes
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning a trip and need some advice

I agree with previous posters - you won't be disappointed. PEI is really nice and relaxing. It's not very populated and even with the tourist season you'll find it nice. If either of you golf you might want to look into golfing on PEI or at Fundy national park. The West part of the Island is particularly quiet and there are just marvellous restaurants and beaches all over the place. If you like to cycle there is a bike route that goes across all of PEI. It's a former railway bed (Confederation Trail) so it's quite flat and safe. I wouldn't do the whole thing but even to bike for part of a day is just really fun. Charlottetown is pretty and walkable - great pubs.

Halifax is awesome too as you know - a lot of people find it fairly similar to Boston so it won't be as different to your husband as PEI.

If you prefer to be active with hiking and different adventurous activities like kayaking the places in NB mentioned in the last post would be great.

I lived in Saint John for 2 years and while I enjoyed it - great dining, interesting to walk around the older parts of the city - I don't know if you should plan to spend 2 whole days there if you only rarely get to come up to Canada. 1 day in Saint John (the city itself) would probably be enough, but there are cool things nearby like Fundy National Park.

Enjoy your trip!!

7. Re: Planning a trip and need some advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, June 26, 2015