We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Toronto to St. Andrews, NB

Toronto, Canada
3 posts
Save Topic
Driving from Toronto to St. Andrews, NB

I am driving from Toronto to St Andrews this summer with 2 kids + dog + grandma and I am looking for suggestions for places to stop on the way. Ideally somewhere to tired out the 6 yr old and the dog. Im thinking we will likely try to do the driving in the evenings while the kiddos sleep... So we need some places to spend the days. Currently thinking we will do 2 days of driving with one over night! But we are flexible. We will spend 7 days in NB before returning.

Thanks in advance!

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
279 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Toronto to St. Andrews, NB

Are you travelling through the states or through canada?

Toronto, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Toronto to St. Andrews, NB

We are planning to travel through Canada.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
12,533 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Toronto to St. Andrews, NB

hi

you probably need to figure how long you can go without a stop as this will give you an idea how close you might be to some attraction or cities.

It is mostly 4 lane highway drive which means you have to get off the highway to see something.

TO to Quebec City is about 8 hrs so you probably need to pick 1 or 2 places to stop along the way. Like Kingston and ??? .......

note that #30 in Montreal is now a short cut to get through the city.

I I would try to make Quebec City my first overnight stop if I had not been there before. It is not a drive through; you have to cross the river and then come back to get back on #20.

then in NB, on the second day, a detour to see the longest covered bridge in the world in Hartland could break it down in 2 sections. but that still means you are driving for 3-4 hrs. in between.

https://goo.gl/maps/ts4R1

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Toronto to St. Andrews, NB

Are you thinking of leaving at midnight? You could avoid traffic in Montreal and be on the other side of city by 6:30am...I have done that before and it has worked out well...

Toronto, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Toronto to St. Andrews, NB

@ tad superstar - I like the idea of driving through Montreal at night, but I'm not a great overnight driver. Too tired.

@cbaarch - I was thinking Cornwall and rivière du loup as overnight stops but I like the idea of Quebec City too.

In NB we were thinking Hartland, shediac, St. John & St. Andrews. Is there anything else we should really consider seeing or doing while there?

Edited: 10:53 pm, March 24, 2014
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Toronto to St. Andrews, NB

Maybe Magnetic Hill in Moncton, the Reversing Falls and City Market in Saint John...

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
12,533 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Toronto to St. Andrews, NB

hi

I took your question to mean that you wanted to get to St Andrews and stay in that area then drive back.

If you will be spending only a few days in St Andrews and drive the other days then a loop to St John; Fundy Park; Moncton; Shediac on the way back makes sense

there is a shortcut across NB call the Renous - not the most scenic but would save you 4-6 hrs of driving back via Fredericton. https://goo.gl/maps/YfB9f

for sites: st John as mentioned above.

Hopewell Rock in Fundy Park

Moncton has magnetic hill - not on my list since it never worked for me but there is kids attractions nearby.

Shediac has Parlee Beach which is really busy in the summer. I would look at booking a motel soon. it can be a day trip from Moncton if you do not take the Renous shortcut.

on the way to Renous a stop in Buctouche if you are there around lunch: La Sagouine for fresh lobster roll.

TA has a list of things to do in each city and town worth a look to see if anything is of interest.

8. Re: Driving from Toronto to St. Andrews, NB

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 27, 2015