We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two Days in Southern New Brunswick

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,155 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Two Days in Southern New Brunswick

We will be travelling to New Brunswick for about a week in September, as part of a longer trip to eastern Canada. We will be flying in and out of Moncton.

The purpose of our trip is to take pictures of some of New Brunswick's covered bridges and also to see Fundy National Park.

Thanks to the responses to a previous post, we will be staying in Sussex, from which a number of covered bridges, and the park, are easily accessible. We do, however, have 2 full days (i.e., three nights) unaccounted for.

We have narrowed it down to several options.

The first would be to head up to Fredericton for a taste of a NB urban area.

The second would be to head east through Saint John to St. George or St. Andrew's. (Getting through Saint John may be a bit of a problem as I have a problem with heights and the harbour bridge reminds me of several bridges in the Lower Mainland of BC that I avoid. However, there does seem to be a lower bridge by the reversing falls, if I am correct, that may provide a solution?)

The third would be to head back to explore southeast NB, perhaps the Sackville area or Shediac/Boutouche.

Does anyone have any thoughts on these options?

Many thanks.

Edited: 8:56 pm, February 01, 2014
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two Days in Southern New Brunswick

Here is a listing of all the covered bridges, maybe it can help you with some planning:

http://www.coveredbridgemap.com/nb/

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,155 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two Days in Southern New Brunswick

Thanks, tdsuperstar, very helpful.

BTW, in my second option, that should be "head west through Saint John", Saint John being west of Sussex. Sorry for any confusion.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
12,162 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two Days in Southern New Brunswick

Hi;

Option 1 - If your are on the hunt for covered bridges the one in Hartland is a must see. This would mean from Sussex you could go via Fredericton and follow the old road and come back on the 4 lane. http://tinyurl.com/ns8vabt

option 2 if you want to discover British Loyalist heritage then you go to St John and area.

option 3 if you want to discover Acadian (French) heritage you will find that in Moncton-Shediac-Buctouche (or Cap Pelé).route.

and, you may get bored in Sussex.........

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,155 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two Days in Southern New Brunswick

Thanks, cbaarch, much appreciated. You've set out the dilemma (i.e., west or east) quite nicely.

As an aside, we don't intend to spend a lot of time in Sussex. We just decided to make it our "home base" because of the number of bridges in the immediate vicinity. We have chased down covered bridges in both the Oregon Willamette Valley and the Quebec Eastern Townships and it does take time to find and photograph them. In fact, it was when I was posting on the Quebec forum for information about covered bridges, that someone responded with a suggestion that we also try New Brunswick. I filed that away for future reference and here we are.

5. Re: Two Days in Southern New Brunswick

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, February 04, 2015
Get answers to your questions about New Brunswick