We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plaster rock road?

woodville On
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Plaster rock road?

We are heading to PEI in 3 weeks and I am wondering has anyone been on Plaster Rock Rd. ( Hwy108) recently How is the Road any construction?We will be on a motorcycle So any info will be helpful Thanks

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,686 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Plaster rock road?

Hi Woodville!

I haven't driven Route 108 between Plaster Rock and Barnaby River in about 10 years. Let me impart what I do know.

First, the road was always well maintained in years past. We had no trouble keeping up freeway speeds on it (although the posted limit was significantly lower; there were never any cops because it's uninhabited much of the way). I don't know whether it has deteriorated.

Coming north on Route 126 from Moncton, turn west at Barnaby River, a paved shortcut to Renous. Cut off the hypotenuse. You need not drive all the way to Miramichi (Chatham) and then make a 135° turn southwest.

In ages past, people took the Plaster Rock highway to save time off the long, slow Trans-Canada Highway. Since the completion of the 4-lane freeway, this has changed, and Route 2 is probably the faster way, or at least not any slower than Route 108/126. There are no services on Route 108 east of Plaster Rock.

You may be traveling by way of Plaster Rock because you want to see it. It's wilderness and one tree looks much like another, plus the bridge over the southwest Miramichi. You do not need to follow this route if your only goal were saving time, though,

Happy travels!

David

capetien10@gmail.com

woodville On
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Plaster rock road?

Thank you for the info

3. Re: Plaster rock road?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, July 17, 2014