We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Bay of Fundy whale watching-Grand Manan or Brier Island

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
203 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Best Bay of Fundy whale watching-Grand Manan or Brier Island

Our family of 5 whale enthusiasts are traveling to Canada this August to view whales in the Bay of Fundy. We only have a week. Are our chances better on Grand Manan or Brier Island?

Any advice is very appreciated.

Spain
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, New Brunswick
Level Contributor
6,670 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Bay of Fundy whale watching-Grand Manan or Brier Island

People give good results from both but we saw whales from a cottage on shore on Grand Manan:)))

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
203 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Bay of Fundy whale watching-Grand Manan or Brier Island

Thanks for your response! Are there other activities for a weeks stay on Grand Manan? Anything with wildlife is what we love.

Spain
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, New Brunswick
Level Contributor
6,670 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Bay of Fundy whale watching-Grand Manan or Brier Island

There is a Whale and Sea bird research Station. plenty of places for walks and a lovely lighthouse. You could also visit Machias Seal Island and Whitehead island. Google 'Grand Manan Tourism, Things to do'.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Bay of Fundy whale watching-Grand Manan or Brier Island

My wife and I stayed did whale watching on Brier Island 2 years ago....also in August. It was incredible. Brier Island in itself is a gem of a place and a real treasure. Brier Island Lodge has motel style rooms, nothing fancy, but clean and large. The dining room serves up excellent, fresh meals made from scratch at a very reasonable price. We only had one day on Brier but we wished we could have had two nights to explore the island a little more.

I would suggest, regardles of where you end up going, to take the Zodiac for your excursion. It might be a few dollars more but you will have a far better (and successful) day out on the water. The Zodiac can only take about 12 people (when we went there were only 6 of us on board) and it will zip out out to the action in minutes as opposed to the large slow moving vessels that cram 100 people on board. That would be my biggest piece of advice...take the Zodiac.

Humboldt County, CA
Level Contributor
20 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Bay of Fundy whale watching-Grand Manan or Brier Island

We went to Brier Island in mid-September maybe 6 years ago and we saw a number of whales on a Zodiac tour which I would highly recommend. Just being on-board is an experience in itself flying over the water a wee bit above it all. We did a similar Zodiac whale tour from Trinity Newfoundland in 2003 and the excitement was just the same. In fact, the Brier Island operator told us he had learned his trade in Trinity.

As noted by others, the lodge there is plain but nice. There also some fairly easy trails to hike. I would say the only downside is you are somewhat isolated. However, there are some nice restaurants and shops in Digby which you pass through both coming and going.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
203 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Bay of Fundy whale watching-Grand Manan or Brier Island

Thanks for all the responses! We made a reservation at Brier Island Lodge for 3 nights and will spend the other 4 exploring NS. We would love any suggestions for great hikes either on the island or surrounding area.

Thanks again!

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Bay of Fundy whale watching-Grand Manan or Brier Island

You'll really love the slow paced life of Brier Island. It's a really unique place. I'm just not sure if 3 nights might be too much. If you enjoy hiking then you should be ok but for the most part you can probably do everything in a couple of days. I might suggest 2 nights on Brier and 5 days touring NS. However, as I said, if you just want to kick back and do some hikes there is enough for you to do.

Also, I would strongly recommend having one dinner at Lavena's Catch on Long Island. It's located right at the ferry dock when you go from Brier to Long Island. It's only a two minute ferry ride and the restaurant is right there. It's been picked as "one of the places to eat in Canada and you'll really soak up some local atmosphere.

tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_Review-g635708-d76…

8. Re: Best Bay of Fundy whale watching-Grand Manan or Brier Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, May 04, 2014
Get answers to your questions about New Brunswick