We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Acadian Coastal Trail

Cadiz, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
133 reviews
Save Topic
Acadian Coastal Trail

Can someone give me an estimated time for driving this - before counting stops?

Thanks!

Spain
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, New Brunswick, Almeria
Level Contributor
7,034 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Acadian Coastal Trail

Dalhousie to port Elgin is approx 230km and should take around 2.5 hours without stops or roadworks.

Cadiz, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Acadian Coastal Trail

Thanks!

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,809 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Acadian Coastal Trail

Whoa! Better check some of that math!

Dalhousie, NB (not Dalhousie University in Halifax, by the way) to Bathurst is 57 miles.

Bathurst to the Miramichi River bridges is 42 miles, and that by the super-2 highway, Route 8, not by the Acadian Coastal Trail.

Miramichi to Shediac, is 75 miles.

Shediac to Port Elgin, NB via the No. 15 highway is 31 miles.

Add them up, and by the fastest route, not the scenic route, I reckon 205 miles, or 330 kilometers (as the signs in Canada read). You'll be lucky if you can do this in under 4 hours, with no dawdling along the way. Except for about 4 miles around Shediac, it's all two-lane undivided highway.

You, KY, didn't ask about the fast way, though. You specifically mentioned the Acadian Coastal Drive, which is the scenic route. It takes you the long way around the Acadian Peninsula through worthwhile scenic towns in the French country, like Caraquet. Then it goes along Bay du Vin and through parts of Kouchibouguac National Park.

If you were to traverse the entire Acadian Coastal Trail, without taking any time-saving routes, it would add up to 357 miles (576 km). Assuming an average speed of 40 mph, I calculate around 9 hours, but this is not a figure of any practical use. If you plan to follow the entire Acadian Coastal Trail, you'll be stopping in all manner of places along the way (or there'd be no point to doing it). I'd allow 3 days if I were doing it and wanted to take the trouble to explore it fully, about 120 miles a day.

Happy travels, with acknowledgments to my Texas Instruments calculator!

David

capetien10@gmail.com

Cadiz, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Acadian Coastal Trail

Thanks David for the update :) Once I looked at the map, I had to giggle over the 2 1/2 hours. Do your mileage figures include going around the Acadian Peninsula to Caraquet, or do you think that part is really worth the extra mileage?

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,809 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Acadian Coastal Trail

Yes, I do think it's worth the detour!

Caraquet is the heart and soul of French New Brunswick, a seaside town with several good hotels along the water. I'd look in on the Acadian Village, one of those reconstructed tourist villages with re-enactors. There's lot's that isn't merely for the tourists, though, including the Catholic shrine that commemorates the original Acadian settlers who were expelled to Louisiana in 1755, and then moved back here to Caraquet; and the beach and the sea views across Caraquet Bay.

My favorite restaurant in New Brunswick is located 20 minutes away in Paquetville, in the interior of the peninsula, the Restaurant La Crêpe Bretonne. It features traditional crepes, the kind you'd expect to find in France or in Quebec but not in a little place like Paquetville. The host also holds a Dixie Lee Fried Chicken franchise, which you'll find is a surprisingly popular eatery in this corner of the world. When we go, though, it's strictly for the crepes, a kind of very thin pancake stuffed with savory goodies like chicken with mouth-watering sauces.

For an interesting side trip, follow Route 113 to the islands of Shippagan, Lameque and Miscou, connected by bridges so that you can go all the way to the lighthouse at the tip of Miscou Island. Shippagan has an aquarium. These are all interesting fishing villages.

My favorite underrated spot to visit is at Bartibog, on the south shore of the Acadian Peninsula, MacDonald Farm. It's a historic house and farm buildings, a very small scale re-enactment, but since it's virtually unknown except for its road sign, it doesn't get the tourist traffic like you'll see at the Acadian Village. It's 8 miles east of the northern end of the big Miramichi River bridge.

The Buctouche Dune, 4 miles north of the village of the same name (and 25 miles north of Shediac), is a one-mile boardwalk constructed along the top of a 6-mile long sand bar reaching into Northumberland Strait. It's free, and a bracing sea walk, with a warm-water sand beach the entire way. The boardwalk used to be longer, until a mile of it was washed away in a winter storm. Perhaps they'll be reconstructing it before you come!

The majority of people along the Acadian Coastal Route speak French as their mother tongue. All businesses and attractions that welcome tourists will offer service in English for you, but don't be surprised that the people at the next table are speaking only French.

Cadiz, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Acadian Coastal Trail

Thank you so very much for your time in answering my post. You've helped my plans tremendously!

Spain
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, New Brunswick, Almeria
Level Contributor
7,034 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Acadian Coastal Trail

Thanks David - I guess DH has a lead foot - or maybe I just heard him wrong and he said 4.5 hours - which is more likely:))))

8. Re: Acadian Coastal Trail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, March 12, 2014