We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coastal drive

White River...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Coastal drive

Hi all,

Travelling on my own August 10 to 16th for my first visit to NB. Flying in to Bathurst and staying there for two days to visit the acadien coast then would like to travel down the coast for 3 days. Am hoping to make it to the bay of fundy and back to Bathurst. Is 3 days a long enough time to really enjoy the coastal scenery and towns? Or should I limit my coastal drive to shediac and back? Also, can you recommend nice safe places to stay with scenery and activities to do during the day and not to secluded so I have something to do in the evenings lol like a resto with a patio and music or a main street with nice shops to browse.

thanks, Marie

Alma
Level Contributor
39 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coastal drive

3 days is hardly long enough, however you really should try to see the Fundy coast. The Fundy tides are specatular. You are travelling at an extremely busy time of the year so I suggest you make sure you have a reservation, or be prepared to sleep in your vehicle. You could stay in Moncton, where you can find evening entertainment, and drive out to see the Fundy shore, and another day drive out to see Sheidac. The Fundy shore is rural with spectacular scenery, but also has shops, museums, outdoor adventure activities & restaurants. Excellent seafood chowder at the Harbourview restaurant in Alma. Shediac is a little more commercial, but has a sand beach with warmer water. Some of your driving will be on secondary roads, so allow extra time. Also IF you are using a GPS, be cautious, choose major roads, and NOT shortest distance, and also look at a map. Enjoy you trip!

White River...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coastal drive

Thanks gardnr for the tips, I will definitely complete my planning and book ahead. So looking forward to experiencing the scenic coast and the seafood.

From what I have found online and your post I will certainly try to make it to the bay of Fundy as there is so much to see and do there. Regards :)

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
14,207 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coastal drive

Hi

I assume that for the Acadian Peninsula you are looking at Caraquet; Tracadie-Sheila and Shippagan for the first 2 days.

for third day i suggest this route. http://goo.gl/maps/8tMZ

which is a bit circular so you can be in Moncton at the end of the day - it is only 4 hrs of driving so lots of time to stop.

In Shediac look for Parlee Beach if it is a sunny day. Bouctouche to Cap Pelé is also part of L`Acadie.

Edited: 9:30 pm, July 23, 2012
White River...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coastal drive

Thanks, Cbaarch

That's what I'm thinking of doing. The first night i'm in late, so really only spending one full day in Bathurst, will take the road you suggested to head down to prob. shediac then to the bay of Fundy area. Are there towns that are not too small...I want something to do in the evenings but the big city is not what I'd enjoy. I am saving visiting the acadian peninsula for the second week but don't need to plan that one as I will have a friend from the area to guide me. Only have a few days to go down the coast and be back in caraquet for the closing festival concert on the 15th. Looking forward to experiencing NB :)

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
14,207 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coastal drive

Hi

Sackville might be the type of town you are looking for. Home of Mount Allison University. No recommendations since i never stopped - usually was on my way to Halifax or Moncton.

Alma
Level Contributor
39 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coastal drive

The village of Alma is the service center for Fundy National Park, and would be the busiest community along the Fundy shore, about 20 minutes to half an hour past the Hopewell Rocks tidal exploration site. There are usually evening programs in the national park, and the village has several gift shops & small restraunts. Many short hiking trails & the beach to wander in the evenings,,, depending on tide level. The wharf is busy if tide is up.

7. Re: Coastal drive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, August 09, 2013