We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Brunswick in May 2018

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,276 posts
212 reviews
Save Topic
New Brunswick in May 2018

I apologize for the vagueness of the question. I have traveled extensively, but little experience in Eastern Canada/New England. My daughter graduates High School in May and wants to do a New England/Canada coast trip for her graduation. There will be 4 of us.

Is the last week in May too early to visit? Is there a typical "spring thaw" that occurs and we need to wait? We like off times and low crowds. We don't mind cold weather. I have noticed several B&B are not available, wondering if they are not open yet.

Our main goal is the coast, covered bridges, landscapes, relaxation. I would like to visit Fundy Bay, reversing falls, and spend a couple of days in either Nova Scotia or Prince Edward Island. If you have any suggestions, I appreciate the help, but have some ideas through research. I am researching, but more worried about the weather that time of year.

We have about 10 days, driving up from Maine.

Mentioned in this post
New England
New England
United States
Maine
Maine
United States
11 replies to this topic
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,276 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Brunswick in May 2018

Sorry, forgot to mention that we will be doing some hiking, even with the cooler weather.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
19,518 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Brunswick in May 2018

the May long weekend also called Victoria Day which is May 21 2018 is the unofficial start of "tourist" season when attractions and accommodations such as B&B would start to be open.

With 10 days and wanting to see some of Nova Scotia the NS forum is more active with lots of FAQs on the right side of the page when using the web version of TA instead of the app.

Edited: 5:02 pm, October 08, 2017
Mentioned in this post
Gaspesie Region...
Level Contributor
2,162 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Brunswick in May 2018

Early to mid-June will likely be better. May can be wet.

The drive through Maine can be boring. I've done route 9 a few times, and I can't stop thinking about Stephen King when I'm there! I would aim for Katahdin then up to Kouchibouguac in NB, generally following the IAT. https:/…International_Appalachian_Trail

Then come back via Fundy, Hopewell Rocks, and back down via route 1. (Or vice versa)

There's a lot of interesting historical stuff in Nova Scotia too (Annapolis, Grand Pré & Port Royal).

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Hopewell Rocks
Hopewell Rocks
2,182 Reviews
Hopewell Cape, Canada
Annapolis
Annapolis
Maryland
Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
19,518 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Brunswick in May 2018

With 10 days for the Canadian side you could do something like

Cross at Calais to go to St Andrews

Make you way to Saint John for the reversing falls then continue to Alma for the tides and Hopewell Rock

From Alma head to PEI via the Acadian Route (Shediac) and the confederation Bridge and make sure to detour to Cap Jourimain for the best view of the bridge.

Spend 3 nights on PEI to take in Cavendish Area for the red sands.

the cross over on the ferry from Wood Island to Pictou to get to Halifax.

In one day you can drive Halifax to Peggys Cove to Lunenberg across to Annapolis Royal and a stay in Digby to take the early ferry the next morning to get to Saint John and back to Maine.

something like this map https://goo.gl/maps/rsGCJaUrjW62

Mentioned in this post
Saint Andrews
Saint Andrews
New Brunswick, Canada
Saint John
Saint John
New Brunswick, Canada
Alma
Alma
Albert County, Canada
Shediac
Shediac
New Brunswick, Canada
Confederation Bridge
Confederation Bridge
277 Reviews
Bayfield, Canada
Cavendish
Cavendish
Prince Edward Island, Canada
Halifax
Halifax
Halifax Region, Canada
Annapolis
Annapolis
Maryland
Digby
Digby
Southwest Nova Scotia, Canada
Maine
Maine
United States
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,276 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Brunswick in May 2018

Thanks everybody. Great advice. I am a little worried about the trek across Maine if it will get a little boring.

I appreciate the help!

Keep any advice coming.

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
SE Ontario
Level Contributor
24,552 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Brunswick in May 2018

Depending how much time you have to get through Maine, and how you route yourself getting from Nashville to Maine, you can take the slower, more scenic #1 highway from just north of Portland to Calais. That route hugs the shoreline.

https://goo.gl/maps/ehgAcA6XxVw

Additionally you could look at taking the ferry between Portland & Yarmouth, NS on the way back. Check on the NS forum for ferry operating schedule.

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Nashville
Nashville
Davidson County, TN
Yarmouth
Yarmouth
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,276 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Brunswick in May 2018

Thank you phpr!

I am actually looking at driving up route 1 staying along bar harbor region (2), then Calais, then Sussex (2)

We will then travel to Halifax (2) and Lunenburg

On the reverse trip we will spend 2 nights in Saint John and then go the highway back down to Portland.

Mentioned in this post
Halifax
Halifax
Halifax Region, Canada
Lunenburg
Lunenburg
Saint John
Saint John
New Brunswick, Canada
Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
19,518 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Brunswick in May 2018

hi

I would look for somewhere else then Sussex to stay after Calais. Have a look at Alma if you want to see the real big tides of the Bay of Fundy. Even Moncton is a better choice then Sussex.

Mentioned in this post
Alma
Alma
Albert County, Canada
Moncton
Moncton
New Brunswick, Canada
SE Ontario
Level Contributor
24,552 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Brunswick in May 2018

Yes .. I would skip Sussex as well. And consider Saint Andrews on the way back. You might even look at popping over to Campobello (although depending on the dates, that might not be an option).

Edited: 7:34 am, October 09, 2017
Mentioned in this post
Saint Andrews
Saint Andrews
New Brunswick, Canada
Campobello Island
Campobello Island
New Brunswick, Canada
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,276 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Brunswick in May 2018

Thank you, I will reconsider Sussex. I will look at the options you both mentioned.

I appreciate the help.

Reply to: New Brunswick in May 2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted