We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gimli beach or grand beach?

1 post
Save Topic
Gimli beach or grand beach?

I will be taking a trip next year up to Winnipeg. I want to go see lake Winnipeg. Which is better to go to, Gimli Beach or Grand Beach on the other side?

Mentioned in this post
Winnipeg
Winnipeg
Manitoba, Canada
Winnipeg
Level Contributor
660 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gimli beach or grand beach?

It all depends what kind of experience you want. Grand Beach is absolutely gorgeous if you just want to sit around and sunbathe & swim all day. There is not much of a townsite there. Gimli, however, is not as nice or large of a beach but has a wonderful little town you can spend a couple of hours exploring and dining in.

Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
Level Contributor
4,726 posts
484 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gimli beach or grand beach?

Here are some useful links for you http://grandbeachtourism.com/ or travelmanitoba.com/places-to-go/cities/gimli/

winnipeg
Level Contributor
597 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gimli beach or grand beach?

Hi Steve. What dates are you coming? I think for tourists, Gimli trip offers more. If you drive along the lake, first stop is whytewold emporium (great restaurant with wood fired pizza) then a stop at Winnipeg beach for the boardwalk. Next stop is Gimli, great little seaside fishing village with pier, lakefront dining, Boardwalk. You can rent bikes or swim. If you want to overnight here, that's an option at Lakeview resort. For a longer drive, many go the extra hour up to hecla island park with Lakeview resort up there. Other than hecla, no park passes required. Yes the sand and sunsets can be nicer on grand beach side but more touristy things on west side (Wpg beach/Gimli). Both towns have LOTS of beach from festivals and events all summer so dates would be helpful too!

Mentioned in this post
Winnipeg Beach
Winnipeg Beach
61 Reviews
Winnipeg Beach, Canada
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
238 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gimli beach or grand beach?

Steve. Grand beach is famous for its soft golden sand and being able to walk into the water for several hundred meters because of the gradual grade. As others have said it's much less developed but if you like a lovely beach, this is one for sure. Both give you a view of the vastness of Lake Winnipeg. On a summer weekend both locations will be popular and busy.

Mentioned in this post
Winnipeg
Winnipeg
Manitoba, Canada
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
238 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gimli beach or grand beach?

Steve. Grand beach is famous for its soft golden sand and being able to walk into the water for several hundred meters because of the gradual grade. As others have said it's much less developed but if you like a lovely beach, this is one for sure. Both give you a view of the vastness of Lake Winnipeg. On a summer weekend both locations will be popular and busy.

Mentioned in this post
Winnipeg
Winnipeg
Manitoba, Canada
Save Reply
6. Re: Gimli beach or grand beach?

i want to visit Gimli beach on june 18th and i am not sure if the jet ski rentals would be open already. i heard its really fun to do in gimli. can someone let me know if the jet ski rental place is already open in gimli beach.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gimli beach or grand beach?

Hi Airhunmwunde V

A simple google search shows at least 2 jet ski rental places in Gimli that are operational. Contact them to get the information you need. Search under "Jet ski rental Gimli"

8. Re: Gimli beach or grand beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, June 17, 2018