We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My review of Winnipeg

Gopher01017
6 posts
Save Topic
My review of Winnipeg

I traveled to The Peg a couple weeks back and it was a very good experience. I'm from northern Minnesota, and it was about a three hour drive. I think now that I've been there I will go more often since its a very cool city and fairly close to home.

I stayed at the Inn at the Forks, which was a very nice hotel (a little pricey, and it didn't have a pool). The forks area is awesome, with the market, Johnston Terminal and the cool walking paths along the rivers. We spent time around the downtown area, taking in the shops and interesting people (I don't mean that in a bad way). The exchange district is also a real cool area, I enjoyed walking around there especially. We also went to the Manitoba Museum & Planetarium. We took in a couple shows there, the first was Galileo Live! and the the other was called The Manitoba Sky. They were both definitely catered to younger kids, but I still enjoyed them. Finally we toured the Manitoba Legislative Building, and that was fantastic. It was a very interesting building with many stories about how it was built and the history around it.

I didn't have any trouble with crime in the city, but I was also cautious. However, I think that's necessary in any large city. I would recommend traveling to Winnipeg to anyone, it really is a neat city. I plan on going back in the near future, and hopefully I can take in a Goldeneyes, Bombers, or Moose game!

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
76,449 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My review of Winnipeg

Hi Gopher01017;

If you haven't already, please take a moment and write a review of the hotel. Many more people read the hotel reviews than the forums when researching accommodations.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g154954-d325194…

Best Regards

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
308 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My review of Winnipeg

Thanks for the positive review of our great city. It's particularly nice to hear from one of our American neighbours, who now have to have passports to get back into their own country. There was just an article in this morning's paper about the decrease in American tourism since the new law came into effect. If you are interested in any cultural things, we also have the Royal Winnipeg Ballet, Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra, Opera and Gilbert and Sullivan Society productions every fall, winter and spring.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
187 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My review of Winnipeg

Thanks for the review, Gopher!

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
112 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My review of Winnipeg

This review is late, but better late than never. We loved Winnipeg when we visited in August 2009, so much so that we are going to spend Christmas in Winnipeg this year with our son and then visit The Pas once again. (We think The Pas is a lovely little town as well) We stayed at the Best Western Charterhouse Hotel in downtown Winnipeg. Its a great hotel and very reasonably priced with shuttle to and from the airport but no breakfast which was fine with us. We at a City Centre Mall Food Court in the area.

We think Winnipeg is a big city with a small town atmosphere just like Halifax, Nova Scotia, where we live. We visited the usual haunts like The Forks Market, took the free shuttle rides in the downtown area during the Spirit Awareness Week, went on a boat ride down the river, visited the train station, did lots of walking in the downtown area and generally took Winnipeg Transit bus trips at random throughout the city. We found the downtown area perfectly safe after reading all the bad reviews and expecting the worst. A couple of poor souls on the streets asked us for money but that is to be expected in any city.

We have no idea what the cold is going to be like in December but we plan on doing our boxing day shopping in the malls in Winnipeg. Could someone on this forum recommend a hotel away from the downtown area that would be close to malls and other shops. We will be using public transportation again and not renting a car. The perfect way to enjoy a city is to be the public bus.

Thanks for your assistance.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
127 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My review of Winnipeg

Hi VIlmad,

I can recommend a couple of hotels for you. FIrst up is the Clarion. It's a nice hotel, has a spa if you want a massage. It's also got a Restaurant in it (panckae house, try the apple pancake. It's awesome). IT is also RIGHT across the street from Polo Park Shopping centre which is the biggest mall here. It's right in a retail area there are also box stores all around the mall. The only problem with the clarion is that it isn't the cheapest option. The other hotel option would be the Viscount Gort Hotel. It's across the street from polo park as well, but more reasonably priced. It's also got a restaurant and does have an airport shuttle. They are both great options depending on how much you want to spend.

There are a couple of hotels in the south end that are close to St. Vital Centre. The only one I would go with though is the Travelodge on Fermor Ave. Good hotel, it's about a 5 minute walk from a bus stop that will take you right to the mal.l. Not sure about an airport shuttle for that one though.

Hope this all helps/

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
653 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My review of Winnipeg

Good suggestions above. If wanting to be near Polo Park mall and the big box stores another option would be CanadInns Polo Park. I have not stayed there but have stayed at other CanadInns; they are decent hotels with ok prices. Probably cheaper than the Clarion but maybe more or similar to Viscount Gort, not sure. However, it's not as close to the mall, but close to some other stores. It also has a restaurant.

That being said the Clarion is definitely the closest to the mall.

How old is your son? We can probably suggest some good winter activities you may like. At Christmas time you could luck out with some mild weather or it could be very cold; but either way there is still lots to do around here.

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
653 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My review of Winnipeg

Oops never mind about your son, I see in another post that he lives here and is an adult! I misunderstood! :)

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
112 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My review of Winnipeg

Thanks for all the recommendations. My son lives and works in The Pas and will be visiting Winnipeg for a week as well. We will be in Winnipeg from the 23rd of December until the 28th and then spend a week in The Pas. Thanks to all once again.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
308 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: My review of Winnipeg

Winnipeg does quite a spectacular job of Christmas light displays, both public and private. There will be lights all along downtown Portage Ave. and Main St. The zoo at Assiniboine Park is also decorated and there is quite a large drive-through display at the Red River Exhibition Park out by Assiniboia Downs (I'm not sure if there are any charters to go see that one). You would have to pay a small fee to see those two. Some private companies run buses through suburbs where homeowners do spectacular jobs of decorating their properties. Try Googling Fehrway Tours or Destination Winnipeg to see if you can get information on those tours. The tours sell-out well in advance so make sure you book it before leaving home. If the weather permits, the river trail at The Forks will be open for walking and skating (you can rent skates) and there is usually a toboggan slide there as well. Have fun!

10. Re: My review of Winnipeg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, May 06, 2010