We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel near health sciences centre hospital on sherbrook?

Minnesota
Level Contributor
19 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
hotel near health sciences centre hospital on sherbrook?

My husband and I are planning on going to Winnipeg this weekend to visit my best friend's mom who is in the hospital. I'm guessing she's at the Health Sciences Centre, as I was told she's in the largest hospital in Winnipeg? Anyway, I found that the address for this centre is 820 Sherbrook Street. I'm having trouble finding a map of hotels near the area. We'd like a kid-friendly, safe and clean hotel with a pool if at all possible (to keep them busy while I visit at the hospital). Does anyone have any suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! It doesn't necessarily have to be really close to the hospital, but would be nice if it wasn't too far across the city.

Thanks so much!

Mentioned in this post
Winnipeg
Winnipeg
Manitoba, Canada
Winnipeg
Level Contributor
308 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel near health sciences centre hospital on sherbrook?

There aren't any suitable hotels right around there. The Inn at the Forks would be a good choice, depending on your budget. It's a little pricey, but meets your criteria. The Manitoba Children's Museum is also at the Forks and would make another good diversion for the children if they are fairly young (up to about age 10). It would be about a 10-15 min. cab ride from the hospital.

Mentioned in this post
Manitoba Children's Museum
Manitoba Children's...
139 Reviews
Winnipeg, Canada
Minnesota
Level Contributor
19 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel near health sciences centre hospital on sherbrook?

Thanks so much! I'll check into both of those. I've done a lot of searching on tripadvisor and really have been having problems finding a hotel without poor ratings. What worries me the most is all the information I'm reading about crime and vandalism to vehicles! I certainly don't want any of that with two kids! Perhaps I could look in the outskirts of the city a little bit? I appreciate your help!!

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
308 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotel near health sciences centre hospital on sherbrook?

A newspaper article, just this week, stated that The Forks is one of the lowest crime areas in the city. Therefore, that hotel would probably be a good bet. If you want something further out of the centre of the city, along Pembina Highway would be a good option. It's the continuation of Hwy. 75, from the border and not far from Hwy. 59, if you're coming up that way.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
19 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hotel near health sciences centre hospital on sherbrook?

I appreciate your help so much! Thank you!! What about the Hilton Inn out by the airport? (A little spendy though..I think around $140/night, but worth it if it is safe!) I'll check along the Pembina Highway too. A friend of my husband's suggested that same road! Is there a Canad Inn along that highway do you think? That way, we could most likely get a pool for the kids to swim in. If you're ever coming down to MN or ND, let me know and I'd gladly help you out too!! haha! I think we'd be coming in around that Hwy 75, as we'd be going through Grand Forks, ND and up that way. Thanks again!!!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
118 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: hotel near health sciences centre hospital on sherbrook?

I use to work at HSC, most of the hotels around there are pretty bad... I think staying around the Forks is a good suggestion.

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
653 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hotel near health sciences centre hospital on sherbrook?

Yes there is a CanadInn on Pembina, it's the one called CanadInns Fort Garry.

There is also the one in the Polo Park area which would be good for you; it's about a 10 min. drive from the hospital and is just up the street from a large shopping mall and many restaurants. This would be a closer drive to the hospital than on Pembina.

All the CanadInns have good waterslides/pool areas for kids. While the Inn at the Forks is a great hotel in a great location, I don't think it caters to kids; however the suggestion of taking them to the Children's Museum is a great one (it's about a 30 second walk from the hotel!) How old are your kids?

We can't promise your car will not get broken into, but just try not to leave anything lying around in it. You should be ok in the areas of these hotels. The area around the hospital isn't the best though, so just keep your car clear inside.

Mentioned in this post
Fort Garry Hotel
Fort Garry Hotel
1,335 Reviews
Winnipeg, Canada
Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
653 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hotel near health sciences centre hospital on sherbrook?

PS if you're an AAA member and you do book at a CanadInns, I think you can get a discount rate.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
308 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hotel near health sciences centre hospital on sherbrook?

Despite the fact that Polo Park Shopping Centre is the biggest and nicest in town, it has a reputation for car break-ins. The hotels right around there also have some problems. The Forks or Pembina Hwy. would be better bets for you.

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
653 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hotel near health sciences centre hospital on sherbrook?

hmm, forgot about that. AuntyMo is right - one of those two is likely better.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
308 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: hotel near health sciences centre hospital on sherbrook?

Sincerely hope you didn't come to town this weekend without a reservation. There was an article in this morning's paper that the hotels are 80% full because of the Brier, Canadian Men's Curling Championship.