We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

long term stay, winnipeg?

Nunavut, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
long term stay, winnipeg?

hi,

we will be down in winnipeg for at least a month a few days after christmas. we have 2 young children under age 2 and trying to figure out hotel accommodations. i keep on reading about the crimes downtown, how bad is bad? our requirements:

1. though not an issue, but i figure a kitchenette would be great though a hotel room with a microwave and fridge would be just as good. i think only holiday towers has a kitchenette?

2. where exactly is holiday towers? they mentioned they share the pool with the Delta, i am assuming they are next to the Delta?

3. another requirement is the place has to have a pool.

4. we do plan to rent a car at some point of the trip, is it really unsafe leaving it downtown?

finally, we are also looking at hotels around polo park. any recommendation and insight greatly appreciated. budget wise, something not more than $450 a week and definitely not a backpacker lodge.

thanks

Aikens Lake Wilderness Lodge
Aikens Lake Wilderness Lodge
#1 of 23 Specialty lodging in Winnipeg
Birdtail Waterfowl
Birdtail Waterfowl
#2 of 23 Specialty lodging in Winnipeg
Elk Island Lodge & Outposts
Elk Island Lodge & Outposts
#1 of 3 Specialty lodging in The Narrows
Winnipeg
Level Contributor
308 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: long term stay, winnipeg?

Holiday Towers is a 2-tower apartment complex right beside the Delta ( in the main part of downtown about 2 blocks off Portage ave.). Many of the apartments are rented on a yearly basis. The ones that are weekly/monthly rentals are regular apartments with full kitchens. We stayed in one for a month when we moved back here. The pool area is quite nice. It's a crapshoot whether or not your car is safe. We park downtown all the time and have never had problems (but have had problems in other parts of town). Some out-of-province autos do get broken into and some local ones also. I presume you won't be walking around downtown a lot at night if you have two little ones, so you shouldn't have any problems. There are lots of people around in the daytime. The other downtown hotel with kitchens is Place Louis Riel. It does not have a pool and isn't as nice , in my opinion (even though it gets good reviews - maybe they've updated it since I last saw it about 7 years ago- it smelled then). I'm not aware of any hotels right around Polo Park that have kitchenettes and would be in your price range.

Nunavut, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: long term stay, winnipeg?

thank you for the information!

Toronto
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: long term stay, winnipeg?

Another option is the Quality Inn 635 Pembina Hwy

Extended long stay rooms with kitchenettes are available

The Quality Inn is a semi residential area not far away from Grant Park Mall , St Vital Mall , the downtown and Forks area and halfway between downtown winnipeg and the University of Manitoba Fort Garry Campus

Its on Pembina Highway which is a major bus route for geting around

http://www.qualityhotelwinnipeg.com/

Mentioned in this post
Fort Garry Hotel
Fort Garry Hotel
1,337 Reviews
Winnipeg, Canada
Manitoba
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: long term stay, winnipeg?

Try the Holiday Inn Airport West. It has kids theme rooms and I believe with a fridge and microwave. It is close to polo park and an easy drive to anywhere.

Mentioned in this post
Holiday Inn Winnipeg - Airport West
Holiday Inn Winnipeg...
348 Reviews
Winnipeg, Canada
West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
81,686 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: long term stay, winnipeg?

“we will be down in winnipeg for at least a month a few days after christmas.”

Kitchenette & kaibai…

Considering this post is from November 2007, I don’t think your replies are going to be of much help.

6. Re: long term stay, winnipeg?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 am, September 29, 2009