We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

please suggest a safe area / hotel for a female traveller

Canada
Level Contributor
120 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
please suggest a safe area / hotel for a female traveller

I will be visiting U of Manitoba Health Sciences Centres , please suggest some nice hotels nearby which are safe and clean and cheap. I am thinking of staying in airport hotels

Gaspesie Region...
Level Contributor
2,156 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: please suggest a safe area / hotel for a female traveller

The airport hotels are fine. I like the Sandman because it is attached to a couple of restaurants. I think they have an airport shuttle too. It's a fairly new build (2008?) So still in reasonable condition.

The only other place I'd stay would be the Fort Garry because it's near The Forks. I've stayed in some other big chains downtown and most are not up to expectations.

My general preference in Winnipeg is to stay as close to the airport as possible. It tends to be dusty and windy, but on balance it's my preference.

Mentioned in this post
Fort Garry Hotel
Fort Garry Hotel
1,337 Reviews
Winnipeg, Canada
Winnipeg
Winnipeg
Manitoba, Canada
SE Ontario
Level Contributor
24,545 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: please suggest a safe area / hotel for a female traveller

What's your definition of cheap?

There is a hotel attached to the HSC. It offers special room rates to patients & family.

https:/…

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
238 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: please suggest a safe area / hotel for a female traveller

The airport area would be safe, but it's also spread out so you're not going to have a lot of dining options or places to see within a short walking distance. There are many decent hotels in that area though. There is a Canad Inn attached to HSC. It's a locally owned hotel chain and others that I have stayed in are decent for sure. I would not consider the area around HSC to be a safe place to walk around in after the workday is done.

One poster mentioned the Fort Garry which is downtown. It's an older hotel so the rooms are smaller but nicely upgraded. You get fantastic architecture, historic charm and great service. Other hotels that get good reviews in the downtown area are The Fairmont, The Radisson, Inn at the Forks, Mere and there is an almost new Alt Hotel. There is more action in these areas, including in the evening so there would be more options to go look for a bite to eat or a drink. Ask the front desk about certain directions to walk that might be more sketchy. As in any metro area, always be cautious, especially when it's dark and quiet

I prefer downtown for it's dining and exploring options. It will be more expensive than the airport area though.

Perhaps you could check out the Viscount Gort. It's not too far from the airport, there are a number of dining options nearby. It's an older facility but has been under renovation for a few years now. I can't speak to the room quality but perhaps you can find some reviews somewhere.

Mentioned in this post
Fort Garry Hotel
Fort Garry Hotel
1,337 Reviews
Winnipeg, Canada
Alt Hotel Winnipeg
Alt Hotel Winnipeg
251 Reviews
Winnipeg, Canada
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: please suggest a safe area / hotel for a female traveller

Great advice from everyone above. If you are going to be visiting the HSC on a daily basis, the I would not stay at an airport hotel though, because your commute will be lengthy each day by bus or taxi. I would try to stay either at the hotel connected to the HSC or at a hotel downtown that you can take a quick taxi or walk to the HSC. The CanadInn at the HSC would be my first choice. Check the discounts available for patients and families. The EconoLodge is close by and a budget hotel. Alt Hotel is nice too.

Best of Luck.

Mentioned in this post
Alt Hotel Winnipeg
Alt Hotel Winnipeg
251 Reviews
Winnipeg, Canada
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: please suggest a safe area / hotel for a female traveller

The Holiday Inn downtown is located right next to the University of Winnipeg and has the Winnipeg Transit from the hotel directly to the University of Manitoba and IG field. I've stayed there when there is concerts or football games. Easy to get around.

Edited: 11:11 pm, June 20, 2017
Mentioned in this post
Winnipeg
Winnipeg
Manitoba, Canada
Winnipeg, Manitoba...
Level Contributor
458 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: please suggest a safe area / hotel for a female traveller

Just to clear up any confusion, the University of Manitoba Health Sciences Centre is nowhere near the University of Manitoba main campus which houses the Investors Group field, but the Holiday Inn downtown isn't terribly far from the Health Sciences Centre.

Mentioned in this post
Investors Group Field
Investors Group Field
93 Reviews
Winnipeg, Canada
7. Re: please suggest a safe area / hotel for a female traveller

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 27, 2018