We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice: southern Manitoba and/or southwest Ontario

Ankeny, Iowa
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Need advice: southern Manitoba and/or southwest Ontario

We are seniors planning on taking a 2 week, camping trip into Canada from northwest Minnesota. So, we are looking at southern Manitoba and/or southwest Ontario. We love the outdoors and scenery. Need advice on camping spots (have a medium sized travel trailer), route and sights to see. Sorry this is so general but have not been to Canada so interested in whatever information is shared. Are there national parks in these areas that have nice camping? We did send for a national park pass. Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
Minnesota
Minnesota
United States
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice: southern Manitoba and/or southwest Ontario

Come visit us in Manitoba! We're friendly, have so many great camping spots, festivals, & Winnipeg is fun. Go to the Travel Manitoba website for useful guides. I can help too!

Edited: 10:45 am, June 10, 2017
Mentioned in this post
Winnipeg
Winnipeg
Manitoba, Canada
Ankeny, Iowa
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice: southern Manitoba and/or southwest Ontario

We are looking at August for our travel. I believe it was Red Mountain campsites I checked out, and very limited availability for that time of the year. Hope we are not too late to make reservations at campgrounds as it seems you need them anymore to assure that you will have a place to stay. Thanks for your reply.

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,501 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advice: southern Manitoba and/or southwest Ontario

Southwest Ontario? Like the Windsor and London area? That's almost all farmland. Or do you mean Northwest, the part adjacent to Manitoba?

Mentioned in this post
Windsor
Windsor
Ontario, Canada
London
London
Ontario, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need advice: southern Manitoba and/or southwest Ontario

Riding Mountain National Park. Gorgeous. Try to get a booking..it's worth the trip.

Ankeny, Iowa
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Need advice: southern Manitoba and/or southwest Ontario

We thought far southwest Ontario, adjacent to Manitoba, might be beautiful with Lake of the Woods. Maybe we will just explore the south part of Manitoba.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,091 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need advice: southern Manitoba and/or southwest Ontario

In general, Canada's landscapes mirror the USA's landforms in north-south strips. So when you drive immediately north of Minnesota into Manitoba or Ontario, there won't be a huge drastic change in scenery. It's when you travel significant distances east or west that the landscapes change. Having spent a whole month driving around Manitoba four summers ago, I would definitely recommend Riding Mountain National Park if you're able to get accommodation. As it's Canada's 150th and all the national parks are free, it might be tough to secure. Whiteshell Provincial Park would be another beautiful place to visit. I also really loved the old oak groves of Pembina Provincial Park. Helca Provincial Park would be another place to put on your list - tag it on to a trip with Gimli. And finally, if you get a chance to visit Grand Beach, which is north of Winnipeg, the sand is divine.

Edited: 1:40 pm, June 10, 2017
Mentioned in this post
Minnesota
Minnesota
United States
Winnipeg
Winnipeg
Manitoba, Canada
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,091 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need advice: southern Manitoba and/or southwest Ontario

Correction: it's Pembina Valley Provincial Park and Hecla Grindstone Provincial Park.

Edited: 1:42 pm, June 10, 2017
SE Ontario
Level Contributor
24,476 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need advice: southern Manitoba and/or southwest Ontario

LOL ... the area you are thinking of is Northwest Ontario ... southwest is much much further south ... close to Detroit and Lake Huron.

There are no national parks immediately adjacent to that northern part of Ontario, although the quite spectacular wilderness of Quetico provincial park is there.

Pukaswa National Park is on the east shore of Lake Superior. Incredible scenery in that area, and the Superior Marine Conservation area is at Rossport.

You can find more on the Ontario Travel website

https://www.ontariotravel.net/en/home

Mentioned in this post
Detroit
Detroit
Michigan
winnipeg
Level Contributor
175 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need advice: southern Manitoba and/or southwest Ontario

Eastern Manitoba has a lovely provincial park with campsites. If you google Nopiming Provincial Park you will find information. Great campsites and beautiful water.

If you would like to go into Northwestern Ontario, travel on hwy 17 (transcanada hwy) and near Vermilion Bay on hwy 647 is Blue Lake Provincial Park. I highly recommend here.

Again in Northwestern Ontario, just past Kenora on hwy 71 is Rushing River Provincial Park.

Further down hwy 71 is Caliper Lake Provincial Park. I've camped at all 3 of these provincial parks in Northwestern Ontario and highly recommend.

If you are coming from Iowa, come up through Emerson into Manitoba. Enjoy what Manitoba has to offer Hecla, Riding Mountain, Nopiming and then go back to United States taking the transcanada hwy into Northwestern Ontario (#1 in Manitoba and then it's called #17 in Northwestern Ontario) and down hwy 71. You can cross into Minnesota either at Rainy River or Fort Frances. Don't miss coming to Canada as you will get a great exchange rate on your American dollar

Mentioned in this post
Kenora
Kenora
Kenora District, Canada
United States
United States
North America
Minnesota
Minnesota
United States
Canada
Canada
North America
New Brunswick...
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
2,262 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need advice: southern Manitoba and/or southwest Ontario

I've been to almost every provincial and national park in southern Manitoba. I recommend Riding Mountain National Park, hecla island provincial park, turtle mountains provincial park, spruce woods provincial park, Whiteshell provincial park. Of these parks riding mountain is hands down the best for wildlife viewing (moose bears wolves etc), plus you have wasagaming which is a wonderful resort town within the park. Hecla is gorgeous with some nice short hikes, and pretty beach, it's really beautiful. Turtle mountains is good for hiking and you have the international peace gardens close by. Spruce woods is unique because it has the desert spirit sands. White shell offers a bit of everything - resort towns of west hawk lake and falcon lake, interesting places like the bannock petroforms. Of all these parks, and actually all the places I visited in Manitoba during the 8 years I lived there (2007 to 2014) riding mountain national park is my number 1 favourite. Mostly due to wildlife viewing.