We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - "The Churchill Flyer"

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
612 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - "The Churchill Flyer"

Winnipeg - Churchill - Winnipeg

The train consisted of locomotives 6432 & 6458 with 5 vehicles; baggage, 2 sitting cars, Diner, "Chateau" class sleeping car. An ontime departure and early running came to an abrupt end when we had to wait for a booked passenger at Roblin. I was the only passenger in the sleeping car. Another joined at Thompson.

A slightly early arrival at Canora to change loco crews was lost when an extraodinary amount of time was taken to negotiate through the junctions, finally being about 12 minutes late.

By morning we were about 2 hours late. Train speeds seemed to be averaging around 20-40kph with some sections down to 10kph. Naturally more time was lost.

I spent all day killing mosquitos which had entered the car. The rear vestibule, which was closed off by doors, was full of them. They even managed to penetrate the Dining Car

On arrival at Thompson Jct we sat on the access curve for over 2 hours. The safeworking team which had come down in a hi-rail vehicle were over the statutory time at work and had to be relieved, at the same time they did not have the key to open the switch lock. Eventually a second hi-rail arrived. Instead of 5 hours at Thompson we had 35 minutes. The locomotives were refuelled from a road tanker. We were ready to depart on time but were delayed 15 minutes waiting for clearance from train control.

Train speeds continued to be very slow, mostly around 20kph but often down to 10kph or slower. There was a great deal of 'rolling' by the carriages. At McLintock loop we crossed a southbound freight behind CN 3002.

After spending 15 minutes reversing on the triangle we finally arrived at Churchill over 3 hours late. The loco crew required their statutory break and the evening's departure for The Pass was delayed until 10.00pm.

From Winnipeg into Saskatchewan the scenery is the usual prairies and fields and is most attractive. Once clear of the prairies the country gives over to waterlogged, ragged , univiting pine forrests. The entire surrounds are at once a desolate swamp of ugly pines, stunted trees and dead trunks. The total picture is one of the most depressing and boring gloom. The Cree name for this country translates as 'land of the little sticks'. Because of the slow train speed there seems to be no end to it. A few hours south of Churchill there is some respite with large areas of arctic tundra, but that is all.

To add insult to injury the recent changes to the Dining car service urgently need some review. While the choice of meals is not large, there is a sameness about them and they are of very poor quality. The very least ViaRail could do is to find a better supplier, as a matter of urgency. The advice to passengers to take plenty of food with them is indeed correct. Under the 'Rules' the Dining car crew are unable to make toast from bread a passeneger might bring themselves. The toasters in the kitchen are serviceable. Interestingly passengers are required to use disposable plates and cutlery while the train crew, who bring all of their own food, eat of china plates and with steel cutlery.

During my stay in Churchill I became an habitue of Gypsy's Bakery and an occasional visitor to the Seaport Hotel. The winter tour operators had closed down and the summer ones not yet started. A visit to 'The Beach' looking north over Hudson Bay revealed ice as far as the horizon and right up the the shoreline. A flock of birds were enjoying the ice and seals could be seen on the ice. One morning gunshots were heard over the town indicating the presence of a Polar Bear. It had moved off before I could see it.

For the return journey the train arrived in Churchill at 11.59am. Over 2 hours late. Departure was set for 8.30pm. The consist was 6409 & 6455 leading the ususal 5 vehicles

Departure was at 8.31pm. The first 296kms to Gillam takes 24 hours. This is an average of 13kph. There are long sections with very low speed restrictions. e.g. over 24miles at 10mph. It was not long before we were told that there had been a derailment at The Pas and we would be bussed from Thompson to The Pas. The 4 passengers in the sleeping car were not happy particularly as we were also told to expect to have to sit up for the second night.

A careful view of the track reveals that in previous weeks there had been service disruptions caused by washaways from flooding by melting snows. Repairs had been carried out but speed restrictions were still necessary. The ballast appears to be sufficiently deep but of uneven size. Much appears to be little more than gravel. I cannot find an explanation for the rolling of the carrriages. There was a complete track maintenance team and equipment at Gillam who set out as soon as we arrived and cleared the section from Churchill. The equipment was branded as belonging to CP.

A few miles before Gillam the train stopped at an isolated grade crossing to let off a passenger, a young woman. Her intention was to take a bus from there to Winnipeg, in which case she would arrive a full day before the train.

A better appreciation of the pine forrest was obtained when considering the harsh climate they have to endure and it is a wonder that they can survive at all. Train speed increased slightly after Gillam but not by a lot. The 252 kms to Thompson requires 7 hours. We arrived 2h45m late on time adjusted for the late departure from Churchill.

The derailment at The Pas had occurred as the other ViaRail carset was departing for Churchill. Some local youngsters had placed items on the rails causing a truck on the sleeping car to derail.

For the "bustitution" there were the 4 sleeping car passengers and 2 train crew. The sitting passengers had made other arrangements. All 6 of us set out in a 47 seat road coach. A 400km 4 hour trip. One of our passengers was a NewYorker. For 3½hours of the trip we were subject to a harangue and rant of Tea Party politics. Many of the propositons were contradictory and if the economic issues were implemented it would plunge the US into years of a deep recession. From the other side of the world, where I come from, those of us with an interest in these matters, long ago concluded the Tea Party were a bunch of nutters. The exhibition I endured unequivocally established this conclusion as being accurate.

At Thompson we found the train intact and standing on a siding. The train crew and station Agent arranged for us to occupy the cars. Examination had concluded that the condition of the sleeping car as being "OK2RUN". We were grateful that we would be able to get a nights sleep.

The crew arranged matters so that we could go down to the WestCanada Hotel dining room for a decent evening meal and rejoin the train. Departure could not be before scheduled time of 3.15am.

Next morning we collectively concluded that we had a 'private train'. From The Pas track conditions are much better with higher train speeds. Travelling through the hills on the Manitoba/Saskatchewan border were enjoyable to be replaced with the broad prairie further south. The pine trees were stronger and healthier and presented an enjoyable picture.

Passengers were boarded at Dauphin and Portage la Prairie. Arrival in Winnipeg was 1 hour late. We were all grateful.

The next morning the train departing for Churchill had a replacement sleeping car.

The line from the junction at Portage la Prairie to The Pas is CN track and from there to Churchill is Hudson Bay Railway. While we were at The Pas we saw the train come in from Pukatawagan. It comprised an ex CN loco, box car, ex Via Baggage, 2 ex Via non-airconditioned cars and several freight vehicles. The ex Via cars were still in the old blue & gold livery. The ex CN loco was also in CN livery with HBR stenciled on the valance. The train speed seemed to be about 10-20kph. The line was purchased by the local native tribes some years ago.

The whole return trip to Churchill can only be described as 'Tortuous'. It was worth the experience, including the 4 hour bustitution from Thompson to The Pas.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,434 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - "The Churchill Flyer"

Interesting trip report - thanks for posting!

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
25,205 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - "The Churchill Flyer"

Cripes Les, all that, and you didn't even get to see a polar bear??? I guess it will make traveling to Perth on the train look pretty good! Wait, maybe not... you get a camel on the tracks, and it's another derailment!

I am hoping you at least packed some mosquito repellent with you. It doesn't help with the incessant buzzing noise, but at least you wouldn't have been "eaten alive". Actually, not eaten, "sucked dry" is more like it ;o)

Glad you took the time to post for us. I'll be watching for the next one.

Joan

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,524 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - "The Churchill Flyer"

Why someone would see fit to discuss American politics on a train in Canada is beyond me.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,161 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - "The Churchill Flyer"

Interesting report - thanks for sharing.

I'm curious why the trip was planned in a shoulder season between tour activities in Churchill. (When was this trip anyway? I couldn't find a date/month in the report. Maybe I missed it?)

As for the discussion of American politics, I agree as to why someone would want to rant & bore fellow travelers other than to say boredom could be the cause. That said, I know when we were in Ireland earlier this year, several locals seemed genuinely interested and asked questions when they realized we were from the USA.

Ladysmith, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - "The Churchill Flyer"

i have been thinking of doing this trip in feb or march just for the heck of it. your post did not scare me off!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,161 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - "The Churchill Flyer"

Just keep in mind that the weather will play even a greater role and inconvenience in your travels when you make the trip in the winter.

Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
Level Contributor
4,559 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report - "The Churchill Flyer"

thanks for the detailed report.

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report - "The Churchill Flyer"

Hi Les

I see that your review was a while ago now but I hope you get to see this

You may be aware that there are web cameras in Churchill that stream live to the internet 24/7

There is a group of krazies from all over the world that have a particular interest in watching the train arrive and depart on the Explore.Org. Beluga Whales webcam http://explore.org/#!/live-cams/player/wild-beluga-whale-cam

We have set up a website that has details of the train and other info re Churchill

The website Churchill Conductors Club has details of us and our hobby

rodjenks.org/bears%20album/…20page.html

Please note: we do not have any commercial arrangements with any of the addressees or others listed on our site.This is just a fun hobby

Any response by email would be appreciated , or just hop on board the comments field (scroll down to see them) of the Beluga whales cam above.

From your review it appears that you are a rail enthusiast , we invite you to join us.

I see that you are a Sydney sider, I am in Geelong.

Email rodjenks@bigpond.com

Hoping to hear from you

Rod Jenkins

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
25,205 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report - "The Churchill Flyer"

Rod, if you click on the name under Les' avatar, you can send him a private message. That way you won't have your e-mail address on a very public forum. You are opening yourself up to receive a lot of spam and other nasty things.

If you use the "report inappropriate content" link, you can delete your post.

Lots of great information in your post, but I am concerned about your e-mail being made so public.

10. Re: Trip Report - "The Churchill Flyer"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, February 23, 2015