We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Joffre Lakes from Whistler

Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
152 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Joffre Lakes from Whistler

Good day to everyone! My husband and I are coming to Whistler the first week of September. We are interested in hiking in Joffre Lakes Provincial Park as we read there are some pretty awesome views, and we love to be active! So we were wondering how do we go about getting there and back from Whistler when we don't have a car rental? It seems like a silly question but any cheaper alternatives to taxi?

Thanks!

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
21,695 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Joffre Lakes from Whistler

It's a wonderful hike - did it last summer on my visit to Whistler. If I recall correctly, it's about a 45 minute drive (I had my own vehicle). I can't imagine that doing it by taxi would be at all affordable. Perhaps check the Whistler Tourism website to see if anyone offers a guided hike with transportation? (That would probably be cheaper than taxi.)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,102 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Joffre Lakes from Whistler

I would rent a car for the day from Whistler and just drive up.

This is a good website for learning about the hike: https:/…

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
67,081 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Joffre Lakes from Whistler

The Joffre Lake parking lot is 62 km and 54 min by taxi. The cost one way would be approx $115 plus tip. You really need a rental car as I don't think any alternative transport options would be available to a single location like that. Even if outdoorsy types hike there on a daily basis the demand would not be there for a scheduled service.

Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
152 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Joffre Lakes from Whistler

Thanks! We will look into renting a car for the day...looks like it will be our best bet to get there!

Oregon
Level Contributor
111 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Joffre Lakes from Whistler

The Cascade Lodge in Whistler has car rentals. I think the agency is Avis. We just hiked Joffre Lakes and it is awesome. When are you going in September. We will be there from Sept. 4-11 and might do the hike again. We will have a car and maybe could give you a lift. Keep in mind though, I am a slow hiker.

Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
152 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Joffre Lakes from Whistler

Good to know about Avis! We will be there September 3-10. @iwannabeach How long did it take you to hike last time? I saw that it's an 11km route which would be perfect for us. I'm so excited to get to Whistler, we have so many things planned for the week, but also time to relax and soak in the atmosphere and nature!

Vancouver
Level Contributor
359 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to Joffre Lakes from Whistler

Joffre is an hours drive from Whistler up what is called the Duffy Lake Road section of hi way 99. Once you pass Pemberton and Mt Currie the road climbs very steeply and has a lot of tight curves. coming back make sure you gear down instead of riding your brakes. I have smelled a lot of burning breaks. It is beautiful drive. Joffre parking lot is not far from pass summit of 4,195 ft-- Whistler at about 2,200 ft. You would want to pick a nice day as mountains could be in cloud. Enjoy.

8. Re: Getting to Joffre Lakes from Whistler

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 08, 2017