We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grocery between Airport and Whistler with wine/beer/liquor

Which Whistler hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Grocery between Airport and Whistler with wine/beer/liquor

Hi,

We are hoping to make only one stop on the way from the airport. Is there a grocery that carries wine/beer/liquor as well as food? I'm unfamiliar with the BC liquor laws as to what can be sold where. I know there is a Save on Foods in Squamish, but I wasn't sure if they sold alcohol. Thanks in advance!

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grocery between Airport and Whistler with wine/beer/liquor

You can't buy alcohol in grocery stores. Government liquor store or some independent stores for wine and beer.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,154 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grocery between Airport and Whistler with wine/beer/liquor

Stopping in Squamish would be pretty convenient as Save On, BC Liquor Store and Howe Sound Brewing company (not necessary but excellent selection of local microbrewery beer) are all in very close proximity. But a one stop shop is not available in BC.

You could also stop at Caulfeild Shopping Centre, exit #4 on Highway 1 just before Horseshoe Bay Ferry Terminal. Small, but busy, shopping centre, with a Safeway, Liquor Store, Cobbs Breads and Pharmacy all in one small place.

Edited: 11:18 am, December 27, 2013
Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,814 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grocery between Airport and Whistler with wine/beer/liquor

Airport level 1 has a liquor store to stock up before leaving the airport. Then your grocery stop is anywhere convenient.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grocery between Airport and Whistler with wine/beer/liquor

As Cave said a Save on and BCL in the mall at Squamish. This is where we usually load up. Mall on right hand side, driving north on 99

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
12,123 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grocery between Airport and Whistler with wine/beer/liquor

FYI

Save On Foods is a supermarket chain that is mainly groceries;

BCLC = British Columbia Liquor Store

There is a grocery store called Nestor in the Village if you forget something. with a BCLC liquor store across the corridor.

There are no bargains on liquor in BC the price is the same at all BCLC stores and beer is not cold. the independent liquor stores are often higher priced but they do have cold beer and are open longer hours.

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grocery between Airport and Whistler with wine/beer/liquor

If you can buy duty free at the airport, do it. Beer/wine in Canada is crazy expensive. A few weeks ago I kept blinking looking at a 6 pack of Miller for $16 in Whistler because I couldn't believe that was right. But that's how it is.

7. Re: Grocery between Airport and Whistler with wine/beer/liquor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 29, 2014