We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whistler to Okanagan Valley

hartlepool, united...
Level Contributor
4,812 posts
139 reviews
Save Topic
Whistler to Okanagan Valley

Hi, how long is the drive (approximately) from Whistler to the Okanagan Valley. We are going in early July and are looking to stay at the Crystal Lodge in Whistler followed by Fintry on Lake Okanagan followed by four nights in Vancouver.

And is there anywhere convenient en route from Whistler like a big supermarket where we can stock up on essentials before we head to Okanagan (ie food and booze!) Thanks in advance for any help.

Edited: 11:27 am, March 07, 2013
Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,986 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whistler to Okanagan Valley

You have two choices. Via the Vancouver area for 5-1/2 to 6 hours drive or go by way of Pemberton/Lillooet for an extra 60-90 minutes. I'd go by way of Pemberton/Lillooet and load up in Pemberton. Road is curvy. Drive is pretty.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
679 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Whistler to Okanagan Valley

Whistler - Fintry is appr. 450 km. along hwy. 99 through Pemberton and Lillooet If you want to stock up for the drive, you pass Nesters Market when driving out of Whistler. If it's for your stay in Fintry I'd wait till Kamloops, where you'll find lots of supermarkets and certainly a liquor store for the booze.

Whistler, Canada
Destination Expert
for Whistler
Level Contributor
700 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Whistler to Okanagan Valley

Hi Marie here at Tourism Whistler

Whistler to Fintry park is about a 5.5 hour drive (437 km). This would be via Pemberton - Duffey Lake Road - Cache Creek - Kamloops then down through Vernon.

I would probably stop in Kamloops or Vernon for groceries and a liquor store.

You are also in wine country so there will be some great vineyards in the area to visit.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,971 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whistler to Okanagan Valley

Yes, I agree that your best places to stock up will be at the Okanagan end of your journey.

Can I also add that I had occasion to drive the 97C from Ashcroft through Logan Lake last summer (due to a bad head on collision closing Highway 1 just north of Spences Bridge) and what a GREAT road! If you want to get off the main highways, I really enjoyed that drive. It takes you past a massive mine, which, while is totally a scar on the landscape, it very impressive in itself and quite something to see.

http://goo.gl/maps/pzSQd

Its a bit of a detour, but a chance to do something other than the main highway. And the scenery either side of the mine is terrific IMO.

hartlepool, united...
Level Contributor
4,812 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whistler to Okanagan Valley

Thanks very much for the replies, think we'll prob go via pemberton and load up in kamloops, just waiting now for BC parks to open their reservation system, ready to click that button!! :) Roll on summer, can't wait for this holiday.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Whistler to Okanagan Valley

I'm in agreement with the Hwy 99 from Pemberton to Lillooet - it will give you the most spectacular scenery. We drove that way last May and my camera was well-used! Once you reach Lillooet you have several choices to continue to Fintry. We stopped at Fort Berens Winey outside of Lillooet. It has a small tasting room and the staff is really friendly. There's a picnic bench outside and we had our lunch there.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,693 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whistler to Okanagan Valley

If you want to wait there's also a big grocery store in West Bank on the right side as you come in off the hwy.. it's the closest to the cutoff before Fintry.. this would be if you come in via the connector as opposed to coming down form Vernon.

My preferred route for this drive would be

Hwy 99 Whistler to Lillooet 2 hrs

Hwy 12 Lillooet to Lytton 45 minutes

Hwy 1 & 8 Lytton to Merritt 1 hr 15 min

hwy 97 C ( known as the connector) Merritt to Westbank 1 hr ( or less)

while it appears as if you're backtracking it's a wonderfully scenic route. The connector is 4 lane and goes way way up with spectacular distant views.

From Westbank out to Fintry is about 1/2 hour. The road is narrow and very curvy.

There's fruit stands in Westbank as well as grocery store and liquor store.. also before the westdie road turnoff there are more wineries and fruit stand off to the right about a 10 minute drive from the hwy..you can stock up at

Qualis Gate, Little Straw, Mission Hill to name a few.

BTW Between Lillooet and Lytton we always see mountain sheep

just giving you another option for your route...

We've driven all the various combinations mentioned in other posts and this is our favorite

Edited: 3:21 pm, March 08, 2013
hartlepool, united...
Level Contributor
4,812 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Whistler to Okanagan Valley

Thanks guys, that's great info and really helpful.

hartlepool, united...
Level Contributor
4,812 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Whistler to Okanagan Valley

Just another question - is there a petrol/gas station as you head out of Whistler, and are there plenty on the way down to the Okanagan area? Or are we better off filling up a couple of jerry cans to store in the car? We'll be hiring a 4x4, cheers.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,971 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Whistler to Okanagan Valley

The petrol stations are never more than a tank of fuel away. You won't need Jerry cans.