We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ethical dog sled companies?

Which Whistler hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Ethical dog sled companies?

I would love to go dog sledding during our upcoming trip, but I am hesitant after doing a little research and discovering the horrific events of a few years ago. Any information or recommendations are appreciated.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,576 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ethical dog sled companies?

While there are supposed to be standards in place, the reality is that there aren't resources to enforce those standards and they really only serve to prosecute after the fact.

I did a little bit of searching and found this:

http://www.snowyowltours.com/?page_id=67

What I like about it is that it gives you some idea of what an "ethical" dog sled company should be doing, and empowers you to ask the right questions. There is definitely a strong voice for arguing that no dog sledding is ethical, but each of us has to make our own decision on that. The fact you are asking the question at all is good.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ethical dog sled companies?

After further research I found the articles below. The former, Outdoor Adventures at Whistler (the offending company), is now owned and operated by the nonprofit, Sled Dog Foundation, under the name, The Whistler Sled Dog Co. Per these articles, the Foundation is comprised of many animal welfare advocates including veterinarians. I have emailed them a few questions, so we’ll see. Sounds promising though…

whistlerquestion.com/article/20120329/WHISTL…

whistlerquestion.com/article/20121129/WHISTL…

Edited: 3:29 pm, February 14, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
55,465 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ethical dog sled companies?

Lessons were definitely learned in Whistler.

Here are the reviews for The Whistler Sled Dog Co.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g154948-d2…

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,151 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ethical dog sled companies?

Last year they were asking $175/person for a 'sled dog experience' which sounded very much to me like being paid help for an afternoon with a chance to run behind a sled if they thought you deserved it.

Also carefully examine the snow conditions *in the valley* before committing.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ethical dog sled companies?

We just completed our dogsled tour with Whistler Sled Dog Co. It was great. No concerns for the dog's welfare. The staff were knowledgeable and seemed to really care for the animals. I'm posting a review soon.

6. Re: Ethical dog sled companies?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, March 03, 2014