We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skiing at Whistler Jan. 14-17

Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Skiing at Whistler Jan. 14-17

Hi! I'm traveling alone to Whistler in January and was wondering if anyone else will be skiing the week of Jan 14? I'm staying at the Aava Whistler Hotel.

I'm a 31 year old guy from Philadelphia. I'd say my level is advanced intermediate. I've skied my whole life and generally like steeper trails — I will go down the insane ones, but cautiously. I like to get out early and get the most out of the trails during the day.

I'll be staying in Vancouver for a few days prior — arriving in Whistler Sunday Jan 13, and flying out Friday Jan 18.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,576 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skiing at Whistler Jan. 14-17

No. there won't be any one else skiing at Whistler. it will be completely empty.

This is a travel site, not a dating site.

Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Skiing at Whistler Jan. 14-17

Aw really?? But a date with you would be so much fun, I'm sure. Rats! :)

If anyone else out there happens to be traveling to Whistler that week (or local) and would like someone to ski with (not date), please be in touch.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,180 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Skiing at Whistler Jan. 14-17

Yep...usually about 11,000 people a day are skiing Whistler / Blackcomb in January, so unfortunately you won't have the mountain to yourself...

Whistler, Canada
Destination Expert
for Whistler
Level Contributor
707 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Skiing at Whistler Jan. 14-17

Hi Marie here at Whistler.com

A couple of suggestions for you:

- join one of the free daily Mountain Orientation Tours on Whistler and Blackcomb. Check with Guest Relations at the base of Whistler for times and more information.

- Look into booking a lesson. The Extremely Canadian Steep Ski Clinics would be great for your ability level.

- talk to people on the lifts - you may find a local who will be happy to ski with you.

Hope that helps!

Edited: 7:12 pm, November 22, 2012
Vancouver
Destination Expert
for San Jose del Cabo
Level Contributor
3,907 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Skiing at Whistler Jan. 14-17

Totally agree with Marie about the Extremely Canadian Steep Ski Clinics. They are great clinics, usually filled with friendly individuals, often who are also skiing alone. You will have a great day, but it will also allow you to connect early with others and perhaps arrange to ski with them again.

http://www.extremelycanadian.com/

Edited: 1:46 pm, November 23, 2012
Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
4,790 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Skiing at Whistler Jan. 14-17

The camps and clinics are great--ditto the above. My husband LOVED the Extremely Canadian.

Post on epicski.com if you're looking for ski buddies--that's commonly done there.

Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Skiing at Whistler Jan. 14-17

Thanks everyone. Very helpful information and I am very interested to check out this Extremely Canadian clinic.

8. Re: Skiing at Whistler Jan. 14-17

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, December 16, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Whistler