We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few questions..?

London
1 post
Save Topic
A few questions..?

Flights booked, raring to go, never been to Whistler before...

Ok first off, can someone point out the obvious meaning of the lift tickets 2 of 3 days, 3 of 4 days etc...? I just don't get it. We want to be able to ski for 6 days (arrive the afternoon the day before to get checked in, lift tickets and hire kit etc..), so what do we get 5 of 6 or 6 of 7???

Secondly, getting to Whistler from Vancouver (just two of us), there seems to be a number of bus options, Perimeter, Snowbus & Greyhound. With widely varying costs. Any pointers as to what's best, pros & cons? Snowbus seems to be cheap & cheerful, but will it be chaos (travelling up 14th back 20th March) with spring break etc?

Finally the accommodation, looking at the Executive Inn. Looking for someting close to lifts & resturants etc, but not sure I want to be kept up by clubs/hedonists etc all night... So has anyone stayed there & can give me some feedback. Or alternative suggestions?

I would be most grateful if you guys can help.

Can't wait to go...

Level Contributor
180 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: A few questions..?

with regards to the lift tickets... "a" of "b" tickets mean that you can ski "a" days in a span of "b" days - so if you got a 5 of 6 ticket, you could ski 5 days in a 6 day span (ie you get one day off). So.... it depends if you actually want to ski 6 days, or if you are going to be in the area for 6 days but may not want to ski everyone of them.

most likely all of the buses from whistler to vancouver will be busy - i dont have much advice on that except good luck!

the executive inn is a nice hotel in a nice location, i have never personally stayed there, but have stayed near it and have never had a problem with noise.

enjoy your time in whistler!

Vancouver, British...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: A few questions..?

If you are looking for a quiet place i would highly suggest the Westin. It is a bit pricey but good deals are easy to find on the internet. It is right by the whistler village gondola and has an amaizing breakfeast buffet!

If you are not worried about being in the main village. The legend resort in the creekside village is nice and quite quiet.

With regards to the bus i think all the busses will be busy. The greyhound is quite cheap but there are stops along the way. There seem to be quite a few perimeter busses hanging around the airport and i think they go directly to whistler.

Whistler
Level Contributor
82 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: A few questions..?

correct on the lift tix...the more days you buy up front the cheaper the price per day.

Perimeter is direct from the airport to Whistler. Greyhound you have to take the Airporter shuttle to downtown Vancouver, get off at the Fairmont Vancouver Hotel and cross West Georgia to the stop for the Greyhound. It will make several stops on the way up to Whistler. The Snowbus is a ski bus and not available at the airport. You would have to shuttle to a stop in Vancouver... check their website for info. I would recommend against snowbus as it will be full of DAY skiers with gear (no luggage)

Executive Inn is one of the first hotels built in town...approx 30years old. Rooms havent been updated lately. Remember that Whistler Village is a pedestrian only village and everything is about a 15min walk to the lifts. Also a free shuttle tours around the perimeter of the village every 5mins. Depending on your budget try the Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort, resortquest.com, alluradirect.com, summitlodge.com, listel whistler hotel (best western). Remember the farther from the lifts the better the price.

Have fun and enjoy!

Whistler
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: A few questions..?

Try the Glacier Lodge. I think their site is http://www.theglacierlodge.com/

EJH
Melbourne
Level Contributor
324 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A few questions..?

Take the Perimeter bus! It is worth every cent more than the other services.

Also, considering its your 1st time to Whistler and if you arrive in daylight, try and sit on the LHS of the bus to capture the amazing views...now so you dont get confused..as you walk into the bus it will be the RHS!! but i guess my early comment was from the perspective of sitting on the LHS heading to Whistler...arggh if i have confused you ask the driver!!!!!!

In regards to lift tickets you have two options... if you want to ski for the 6 days then get the 6 of 7 days ticket, but if you think you will only ski 5 days and have a rest day then get the cheaper 5 of 6 days.

I would also advise going to Guest Relations and asking them whats the best deal ...as there might be a promotion of special discount way of getting tickets cheaper...i remember the express card was way cheaper but not sure if they still offer this...

For accomm, have a look at the resort website

www.whistler-blackcomb.com

they have an excellent map in the accommodations section which will help you orientate yourself with the resort. If you dont want noise from the party animals, i suggest you look at all areas except for whistler village.

Im sure you will have a fantastic time!!!!!

cheers

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A few questions..?

as others have said, ski 5 out of 6 days..etc...the bus wouldn't be my choice. with the pound so strong, why not share or hire a limo? Executive Inn..never been there.

Southampton UK
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: A few questions..?

I would take the Perimeter bus, picks you up at the Airport and drops you off at your accomodation. This will be the cheapest as well as the pound is not too good at the moment - getting under 2 - 1.93 - we were getting 2.3 + last year.

Accomodation - try alluradirect.com - they have loads of apartments rented by the owners so you save on one of the taxes ( can't remember which one ) but cheaper than the hotels too. We just returned from Woodrun lodge, after staying at the Westin and Delta village suites in the past we will certainly do Woodrun again. do'nt forget tennis club for breakfast - another thing we did big brekkie and no need to stop for lunch.

have a great time - not jealous a bit ??????