We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bear watching trips out of Whistler - any good?

worcestershire
Level Contributor
31 posts
195 reviews
Save Topic
Bear watching trips out of Whistler - any good?

Has anyone done the Bear watching/safari trips out of Whistler. I think the company are Michael Allen tours and they depart three times a day. Any views on their quality, how long do they last and is there a better time. I am in Whistler in mid September.

Also are there any alternatives?

Many thanks in anticipation

Whistler, Canada
Destination Expert
for Whistler
Level Contributor
1,422 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bear watching trips out of Whistler - any good?

If you have to go on a bear watching trip, Michael Allen is your guy. He's been a local reasearcher for past two decades in Whistler. He knows where the bears are as he tracks them and is a wealth of knowledge. I believe the tours are 3-4 hours long.

Outside of the tours, you can sometimes see bears when riding the Whistler Gondola, or even playing a round of golf at the Chateau Whistler Golf Course or Whistler Golf Course.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
5,307 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bear watching trips out of Whistler - any good?

One of the best bear tours you are likely to find anywhere. By all means take his tour.

vanmag.com/News_and_Features/…Bear_Man

Mississippi
Level Contributor
8 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bear watching trips out of Whistler - any good?

The bear watching trip that I took with Michael Allen was so amazing that i signed up to do it again a few days later. He is a fount of bear knowledge. I went on the early morning trips. I hear the late afternoon/evening trips are great also.

worcestershire
Level Contributor
31 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bear watching trips out of Whistler - any good?

Thank you for all your responses - they are very helpful and I'm grateful to you for taking the time. Think we will look at doing such a trip unless we see loads of bears on our travels up to Whistler.

Thanks again

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
5,307 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bear watching trips out of Whistler - any good?

Bears are actually quite shy creatures and will go out of their way to avoid you if they can. We saw bears golfing at the Chateau Course but seeing them with an expert is somthing else......let us know how it turned out for you. :)

scotland
Level Contributor
160 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bear watching trips out of Whistler - any good?

Just back from Vancouver and took a trip to Whistler for one day. We saw Black Bears on the mountain while going up and coming down at Blackcombe. Also saw a Black Bear while walking the short distance from Blackcombe to Whistler..sitting at the side of the road totally ignoring all the passers by taking photos. However I would have loved to take a Bear watching trip but didnt have time.

7. Re: Bear watching trips out of Whistler - any good?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 26, 2011