We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fly to Seattle or Vancouver from NY?

Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Fly to Seattle or Vancouver from NY?

Hi, I'm planning on taking a trip to Whistler-Blackcomb and I'm looking for any info I can get.

When is the best time to visit (in terms of crowding and cost)?

Is it better to fly into Vancouver and then take a bus or fly into Seattle and rent a car?

Are there any sites worth taking in outside of Whistler but still within a reasonable drive?

Thanks.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,374 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fly to Seattle or Vancouver from NY?

Flights to Seattle are generally cheaper, but it's more of a hassle if Whistler is your destination.

You have to consider the time it would take to rent the car, to drive to the border (2 hours or more, depending on rush hour), and then the 2+ hours it takes to drive to Whistler. Once you're in Whistler, a car becomes redundant as everything is pedestrian oriented, and parking is expensive. Everyone leaves their cars parked while at Whistler, unless they're planning to leave the village to head elsewhere.

The Vancouver airport is a lot nicer than the Seattle airport, especially if you're arriving from an international destination. Once at the Vancouver airport, there are many shuttles (and even limo services) that go directly to Whistler. It would also take up less time to get there (about 2 hours).

Between the drive to Whistler, there's Shannon Falls nearby the town of Squamish - a halfway between Whistler and Vancouver. The drive between Vancouver and Squamish is particularly scenic, as you drive along Howe Sound - a massive fjord full of islands.

There are many provincial parks within a short drive from Whistler, such as Joffre Lakes and Garibaldi. You can get more information on these parks on the BC Parks website. Here's a link with a map of the Whistler region - you can click on the park locations to get more information:

…gov.bc.ca/bcparks/…pemberton.htm

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,374 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fly to Seattle or Vancouver from NY?

I should also mention, the best time to visit depends on what activities you plan on doing. Whistler is a vastly different place in the summer than in the winter. I wouldn't recommend going to Whistler in the winter unless you were planning to go skiing or snowboarding. If you're looking for a place where you can appreciate scenery, go on a few hikes, and whatnot, I'd recommend the summer months. Summer tends to be cheaper for accommodation as well. My guess is that September and October would be ideal for a really quiet Whistler experience, as it's the shoulder season. There isn't any snow, but it's not as warm as summer, so there aren't any crowds.

Vancouver
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Fly to Seattle or Vancouver from NY?

I am from Vancouver and I go to Whistler a lot. I don't know which airport it is better to arrive at.I guess it depends on how much money you want to spend. One tip for skiing/boarding is that it is better to ski on weekdays, because on weekends, the line ups get a little long. But, no matter what, you will apsolutely love whistler! Another tip for hotels: Go to www.whistlerpremier.com This site has hotels for a really good price. The only down side is that you have to pick up your keys to your room in the village, but other than that it is such a great deal. People who own condo's and hotel rooms, rent out their rooms when they aren't staying there, so you get quite a deal. Alright, well you have fun in whistler. oh, blackcomb is better if you snowboard, and whistler is better if you ski.

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
379 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fly to Seattle or Vancouver from NY?

We spent four days in Whistler this past summer and had a great time. Great weather, all the stores were 50% off, the Four Seasons had a special of get the third night free. Lots of hiking, biking, relaxing and eating...great time.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1 post
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fly to Seattle or Vancouver from NY?

Earlier this spring (spring break) my kids and I flew to Seattle from San Fran, met my husband who was working in Seattle. We spent a few drizzly days touring Seattle (enjoyed the Museum of Flight and....???) then drove to Whistler. Our return flight was also out of Seattle. Having lived in Vancouver and at Whistler for many years, I would recommend that unless you have something to do in Seattle, fly directly to Vancouver. The airport is very nice, the bus to Whistler is very convenient, and you probably don't need a car at Whistler. The buses are set up to take skis and all kinds of gear. Also, by taking the bus to Whistler, you can sit back and enjoy the fabulous scenery along Sea to Sky Highway. Of course, it's a fun drive should you decide to rent a car in Vancouver.

Have a great time! It's the best place to go!